This page is obsolete. It is being retained for archival purposes. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on any information on this page.
For the current work on real-time collaboration, see VisualEditor/Real-time collaboration
- Could greatly enhance community bonds by allowing mentors and newbies to edit together
- Get to consensus faster when editing an article
- More of a social space
- Especially good for focused groups like WikiProjects that depend on small numbers interacting intensely
- Most groups who need to collaborate fast already use Google Docs or Etherpad or some such; (the WMF does a lot already) which makes translation to public wiki form tedious. This could bring them back to public wikis
- Remove all Edit Conflicts
- Wikitext is not just formatted text, has embedded templates, parser functions, etc. etc.
- MediaWiki's model is one user : one edit.
- Could resolve this by creation sessions owned by a user, having others join, then adding other usernames to commit comment
- If combined with visual editing, can make the software stack even more complex.
- Operational transformation -- an algorithm to manage near-simultaneous edits on the same short span of text, where many clients receive each other's manipulations in a different order but must arrive at a consistent view.
- histcomb.js -- a user script that combines multiple sequential edits by the same user in a single entry in the history log.
- MIAWiki for Real-Time Mass Collaboration, fully functional system based on AIMS and SIMS concepts
- AIMS - Atomized Information Managenet System
- SIMS - Secondary Information Management System
Believed to be interesting enough to explore, not officially on the agenda.
- Project requirements
- Project tasklist
- VisualEditor/Design/Realtime collaboration
- m:Help:Edit conflict (or w:en:Help:Edit conflict)
- San Francisco Hackathon January 2012/Teams#No more edit conflicts
- Micro Design Improvements#Edit Conflict Workflow
- m:Edit conflict handling suggestion (2004)
- One and Two sets of notes from Wikid77 in 2013
- w:en:Edit conflict (article)