Mobile design/Wikipedia navigation/Beta feedback
This is the page for feedback regarding the new navigation UI on the mobile beta site.
Back to Mobile Feedback
Feedback from the new Contact page/Technical problem was here but was switched to an email mechanism.
[edit | edit source]
- Featured and Contact do not close the menu
- Random also does not close the menu on ICS 4.0.2, native browser
- menu is corrupted in landscape view in Mobile Safari, Opera Mobile (Android)
- doesn't work in Opera Mini on iPod Touch and Android (page reloads, no visible change)
Action bar behavior[edit | edit source]
- consider making buttons right-aligned instead of centered, so your finger's ready to go to the next step easily (especially on wide screens there's some distance now)
- clipped 'language' button in Korean
- labels overlap icons, clicking on icons has no effect in Opera Mini on iPod Touch
- The Action bar design doesn't blend that well with our current minimal styling for article sections and the footer. We either need to acknowledge that is on purpose or sync them up better. I'm leaning toward the latter. Tfinc (talk) 01:17, 24 May 2012 (UTC)
Table of Contents[edit | edit source]
- Navigating with the TOC after you've selected a section is clunky. I know that were planning on having the action bar more easily accessible but i'm not convinced that will be enough. What about if instead we used a swipe/touch gesture to reveal the toc from the right side (ala the main menu). That way we could surface it with less taps. Tfinc (talk) 01:17, 24 May 2012 (UTC)
Languages[edit | edit source]
- Currently changes the chrome, not just the article
Icons[edit | edit source]
- Icons are visibly pixelated on iPod Touch w/ retina display.Also on WP7.5 the menu button and the other button?, are pixelated and they have a tiny blue square next to them.
- Choice of icons for Main/Action menu is questionable: the left one looks like a table of contents (wrong idea!) and the right one does not look like anything.
- I found the horizontal lines icon for to the left of the search field to be unintuitive. To me it looks like something I'd pull down on, so that's what I tried to do instead of just pressing it. When I pressed it and dragged it down, it didn't do anything. I eventually figured it out. 188.8.131.52 22:53, 9 June 2012 (UTC)
General structure[edit | edit source]
- Personally I would pack everything in one menu, not two, and visually separate article actions from main menu options. People can never remember which option is hidden behind which menu. AxelBoldt (talk) 22:53, 27 May 2012 (UTC)
- This is something we are considering. Another idea is to put the functions in the article itself. How that would look exactly is not yet clear. There has been some talk of a Contents button that floats in a fixed place, such as the bottom right corner. Any further thoughts? --Pchang (talk) 21:10, 30 May 2012 (UTC)
- Comment about the ICS app but still relevant here:
Can you please update the app for ICS by placing the menu button to the right of the search button? I am on an HTC ONE X and it is quite annoying to have the menu button take up precious screen real estate on the bottom.
Search[edit | edit source]
- Some sort of full-text search should be possible. AxelBoldt (talk) 22:53, 27 May 2012 (UTC)
- This has been fixed and will be deployed shortly.
Reference footnote popups[edit | edit source]
- The reference footnote popups are working fine on the regular mobile site, but on the beta site clicking a reference link does nothing; no popup opens. (iPod Touch 2nd gen, iOS 4.2.1, Safari) AxelBoldt (talk) 22:12, 27 May 2012 (UTC)
[edit | edit source]
- Images on/off, Contact, and most likely Desktop/Mobile will move to the menu or settings in the menu, in the new UI design. The reason Desktop/mobile is a question is simply because that is commonly found in a page footer.
- Why was the link to the contributor list removed? Maybe we should add a history link to the Action menu instead. AxelBoldt (talk) 22:57, 27 May 2012 (UTC)
- Yes, Contributors should be there, and it was just put back. It is a thought to put it in the Action bar, but not if that goes away.
Contact page[edit | edit source]
- Technical Problem does not show placeholder text in the fields "Enter a subject," etc.
- Does not show other languages, even though they are available