Jump to content

Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20191002

From mediawiki.org


Vacations/Important dates[edit]

How to do it
  • September 23–October 4: JR Vacation
  • October 8: Željko holiday (Independence Day)
  • October 11: Željko conference (https://2019.webcampzg.org/ )
  • October 14 (Indigenous Peoples' Day): US Staff
  • November 11  (Veterans' Day): US Staff
  • November 12–15: TechConf19
  • November 16–20: Offsite
  • November 28–29 (Thanksgiving): US Staff
  • December 6: Lars (Finnish Independence Day)
  • December 25–31 (Christmas): US Staff
  • December 25–26: Lars, Christmas
  • 1 January (New Year's Day): US Staff, Lars
  • 20 January (Martin Luther King Jr. Day): US Staff

Rotating positions[edit]


Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/s3KW8bpsXhYF/#R
  • June 24 - wmf.11 - Jeena (with Mukunda)
  • July 1 - wmf.12 - No train (Fourth of July)
  • July 8 - wmf.13 - Jeena
  • July 15 - wmf.14 - Lars (with Antoine)
  • July 22 - wmf.15 - Lars
  • July 29 - wmf.16 - Brennen (with Tyler)
  • Aug 5 - wmf.17 - Brennen
  • Aug 12 - wmf.18 - No Train (Wikimania)
  • Aug 19 - wmf.19 - Zeljko 😱
  • Aug 26 - wmf.20 - Zeljko 😭
  • Sep 2 - wmf.21 - Antoine
  • Sep 9 - wmf.22 - Antoine
  • Sep 16 - wmf.23 - Mukunda
  • Sep 23 - wmf.24 - Mukunda
  • Sep 30 - wmf.25 - Tyler Dan
  • 7 Oct - wmf.26 - Tyler Dan
  • 17 Oct - 1.35.0-wmf.1 - TBD
  • 21 Oct - wmf.2 - TBD
  • 28 Oct - wmf.3 - TBD
  • 4 Nov  - wmf.4 - TBD
  • 11 Nov  - wmf.5 - TBD (? No train – TechConf ?)
    • Who is available from EngProd + CPT + SRE?
  • 18 Nov  - No train – EngProd offsite
  • 25 Nov  - wmf.7 - Antoine? (? No train – Thanksgiving ?)
    • EU Train week?
    • Or just run with a delayed "Thursday" to the next Monday?


  • Aug 14 onward: Zeljko
    • SoS on 2019-10-09 is at the same time as Tech All Hands

Team Business[edit]

Timespent spreadsheet[edit]

For the avoidance of doubt: fill out the sheet week number for the previous week

November Offsite/Summit[edit]

Book club[edit]

Monthly reflection on accomplishments - September '19 edition[edit]

Add as you have them!
  • Scap 3.12.1-1 released/deployed
  • Refactored Zuul layout to use per-branch pipelines
  • quibble -c Lets you run arbitrary code against a working MediaWiki install
  • The phabricator "Report Error Code" form (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/edit/form/46/ ) has been updated with separate fields for the stack trace and error code/request id.
  • T232608 Delete selenium-daily-beta-EXTENSION Jenkins jobs that are broken more than 30 days
  • Write cached config to JSON as well as serialised PHP https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/operations/mediawiki-config/+/533592/ (first step towards a saner config)
  • MediaWiki PHP support target modernised from 7.0+ to 7.2+ for 1.34 onwards. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T228342
  • Quibble 0.0.35 release
  • 1.34.0-wmf.24 branch cut was done /mostly/ with branch.py instead of make-wmf-branch.php (some small bugs remain to work out but it's very close)
  • Creating accounts was broken on beta cluster since 2019-09-08. It was fixed today (2019-09-25). https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T232796
  • Phatality extension for Kibana deployed to production and used for reporting production errors into Phabricator.
  • Train blocker tasks created for 1.35.0-wmf.1-1.35.0-wmf.25
  • MediaWiki dev images are now automatically created as part of postmerge via the pipeline

Incoming/Needs attention[edit]

New Month, New Workboard![edit]

Proposed New Rotating Position[edit]

  • Clinic Duty!
    • Analogous to:
    • Proposed scope
      • Triage tasks on #together INBOX/Release-Engineering-Team-TODO INBOX/Release-Engineering-Team-TODO (201XXX) INBOX
      • Handle "hey releng"-type requests in #wikimedia-releng (@meatbags for brennen)
      • +2 common requests (add x@y.com to ci whitelist)

Scrum of Scrums for next week[edit]

Internal team notes, not for pasting into the SoS notes[edit]

Incoming from last week (aka this morning)[edit]

  • The Growth team is planning deployments for the newcomer tasks projects and we need to know November black out dates
  • CPT: Create a way to share a secret between MediaWiki and the testing framework in CI phab:T233092
  • Kartotherian folks: phab:T233316
  • Not blocked, but nice-to-have for Fundraising tech: php7.0 docker image for CRM tests  phab:T230446
  • Fundraising emails to English-speaking countries started going out this week - that traffic goes through donate.wikimedia.org (on the main cluster) before it hits payments-wiki (on the fr cluster), so let's nobody break it.

Outgoing next week[edit]


Train status and happenings[edit]


OKRs, Goals, Betterworks, Oh my![edit]






  • What I planned vs did last week
    • Yes Done Tech-mgt F2F, meet Grant, new CTO
    • Yes Done Leveling...
  • What I plan to do this week
    • TechConf session drafting
    • OKR drafting, aligning
    • Goal setting cross EngProd
  • What I'm blocked on
    • The announcement for EngProd creation :) (just waiting, not actually blocking anything other than nice feelies)
  • Other?


  • What I planned vs did last week
    • Incomplete Partially done Vacation all week – I worked on Thursday anyway, because I was bored.
  • What I plan to do this week
    • Supporting 1.34 release branch cut/etc.
    • OKR fun.
    • HHVM removal from CI and later MW 
    • Static configuration progress https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T223602
    • Iterating from CodeReview metrics/KPI proposal to make some for CI
  • What I'm blocked on
    • Seeking input from deployers/configurators on plans for static configuration changes
  • Other?


  • What I planned vs did last week
    • vacation
  • What I plan to do this week
    • vacation
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


  • What I planned vs did last week
    • Yes Done Update parsoid blubberfile to new version
    • Yes Done local-charts meeting
    • N Not done Get parsoid image built in CI. Same for restbase?
    • Yes Done Fix some issues with mediawiki chart
    • Yes Done Fix some issues with parsoid chart
    • In progress In progress bring up issue with deployment-charts about templates with same name
    • Yes Done Add ideas to local dev brainstorm
    • Yes Done local dev meeting
    • Yes Done docker sig meeting?
  • What I plan to do this week
    • make example of deployment charts template problem for Alexandros
    • OKR writing
    • local dev meeting & prep
    • Work with Brennen to get parsoid image built in CI. Same for restbase? Good question.
    • Explore what's needed for new php parsoid service in terms of local-charts/deployment-charts
    • Reading for book club
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


  • What I planned vs did last week
    • N Not done Get feedback on v3 of CI arch doc. Process it.
    • Yes Done Read up on Zuul dependent pipelines.
    • Yes Done With CI WG, decide on CI engine for future CI. Make plan on what next.
    • N Not done Update engprod list on PGP keysigning at offsite.
    • N Not done Read the book club article. Let subconsicous start work on it.
    • Yes Done filled in my OKRs in betterworks
  • What I plan to do this week
    • Seek feedback on v3 of CI arch doc.
    • Set up Argo in a K8s cluster somewhere.
    • Update engprod list on PGP keysigning at offsite.
    • Read the book club article. Let subconsicous start work on it.
  • What I'm blocked on
    • K8s - could do with some help
  • Other?


  • What I planned vs did last week
    • Yes Done Train
    • Yes Done Get familiar with betterworks
    • Yes Done Deploy phatality to production
    • Yes Done Develop some OKRs
  • What I plan to do this week
    • Branch REL1_34 with Dan
    • Work on branch.py
    • Phabricator Deploy
    • Work on getting phabricator to notify you when attempting to submit a duplicate phatality report.
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


  • What I planned vs did last week
    • Yes Done tech-mgr f2f
  • What I plan to do this week
    • Goals
    • Meetings
    • Gerrit1001
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


  • What I planned vs did last week
    • Yes Done T232598 Update existing Selenium documentation
    • N Not done T232638 Add accessibility check for Homepage (GrowthExperiments)
  • What I plan to do this week
    • T213268 Upgrade webdriverio to version 5 in mediawiki/core
    • T234002 Make MediaWiki Wdio tests less slow (Sept 2019)
    • T199113 All repositories with Selenium tests should use wdio-mediawiki
    • T234311 Fix and restore daily browser tests for TwoColConflict
    • T232638 Add accessibility check for Homepage
  • What I'm blocked on
    • T233960 Error: error installing: the server could not find the requested resource
    • SoS on 2019-10-09 is at the same time as Tech All Hands
  • Other?
    • Should I be working on individual goals? apparently not
    • October 1 was 7 (seven!) years I've been working for WMF