Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20190313



Vacations/Important dates[edit]
How to do it
  • April 9-12: Greg at tech-mgt F2F in Portland
  • April 17-19 (Wednesday - Friday) - Željko vacation
  • April 22 (WMF Holiday) - US Staff
  • April 22-27: Team offsite in Chicago
  • April 29: Moved WMF Holiday for US staff at offsite
  • May 1st - Lars, Antoine and Željko, Labor Day / May Day
  • May 8th - Antoine, 1945 victory
  • May 15 (Wednesday) - Željko vacation
  • May 16-20 - Wikimedia Hackathon 2019 (Prague, Czechia)
    • Attending: Greg, JR, Zeljko, James, and Jeena
  • May 30th-31th - Antoine, Feast of the Ascension
  • June 10th - Antoine, Pentecost -- see for Antoine/France Easter holidays
  • May 27 (Memorial Day) - US Staff
  • June 6-7 - Brennen, Apogaea
  • June 19 (Juneteenth) - US Staff
  • June 17 - July 5 - Željko vacation

Rotating positions[edit]


Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks:
  • Jan 07 - wmf.12 - Dan
  • Jan 14 - wmf.13 - Dan
  • Jan 21 - wmf.14 - Mukunda
  • Jan 28 - wmf.15 - No Train (All Hands)
  • Feb 04 - wmf.16 - Mukunda
  • Feb 11 - wmf.17 - Tyler
  • Feb 18 - wmf.18 - Tyler
  • Feb 25 - wmf.19 - Antoine
  • Mar 04 - wmf.20 - Antoine
  • Mar 11 - wmf.21 - Zeljko
  • Mar 18 - wmf.22 - Zeljko
  • Mar 25 - wmf.23 - Dan
  • Apr 01 - wmf.24 - Dan
  • Apr 08 - wmf.25 - Mukunda
  • Apr 15 - wmf.26 - Mukunda
  • Apr 22 - 1.34.0-wmf.1 - NO TRAIN, team offsite
  • Apr 29 - wmf.2 - Tyler
  • May 06 - wmf.3 - Tyler
  • May 13 - wmf.4 - Antoine
  • May 20 - wmf.5 - Antoine
  • May 27 - wmf.6 - Zeljko
  • June 03 - wmf.7 - Zeljko


  • Zeljko 4eva! :)

Team Business[edit]

Book club[edit]

Spring Offsite[edit]

Monthly reflection on accomplishments - March '19 edition[edit]
Add as you have them!

Q4 Goals planning[edit]

Due: Monday March 18th, aka this Friday

Annual Planning is coming up[edit]

Incoming/Needs attention[edit]

Pywikibot CI[edit]

Post-mortem "MWException: No localisation cache found for English."[edit]

> I think we missed running a scap pull and the cache generation. [when the server was repooled] > So that is a glitch in how we repool a MediaWiki server?

    • greg to follow-up

Merge blocker: The table 'l10n_cache' is full in quibble-vendor-mysql-hhvm-docker[edit]

Merge blocker: quibble-vendor-mysql-hhvm-docker in gate fails for most merges (exit status -11)[edit]

Merge blocker: Failed to create /nonexistent/.pki/nssdb directory[edit]

FYI: Wikimedia-production-error (Shared Build Failure)[edit]

Cannot access beta cluster db[edit]

Scrum of Scrums[edit]

Greg to copy to etherpad after meeting:

Incoming from last week[edit]

  • Blocking:

Outgoing this week (wrong section heading is on purpose for copy/pasting into Scrum of Scrums etherpad[edit]

Release Engineering[edit]


  • Release Engineering

Train status and happenings[edit]
  • minor issue in MFE yesterday (undeclared variable, somehow not caught somewhere first)

Quarterly Goals for Q3[edit]

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Automate the generation of change log notes
WHO: Mukunda, (Tyler on backup)

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Investigate notification methods for developers with changes that are riding any given train
WHO: Mukunda, Tyler

TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Instrument Quibble for data collection
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine

TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Create a graph where time is spent and make a prioritized list for improvements.
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine

TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 2 / Output 2.1[edit]

GOAL: Select and integrate a code health metric solution into our tooling.
WHO: JR, ...

TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

Adopt more services into Deployment pipeline - task T212801
cxserver, ORES (partially), citoid, changeprop, cpjobqueue (stretch)
Deploy eventgate
WHO: Dan, Tyler, Lars
  • changeprop

TEC12 (DevProd): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Conduct interviews with development stakeholders and compile a report that informs future work creation of a rubric.
WHO: Jeena, Mukunda

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

Develop and communicate guidelines and best practices for successful Code Stewardship.
(Continued from Q2) Update/refresh review queue (review process for initial code deployment)
  • Created mockup for Code Stewardship dashboard
  • Created metrics tracking spreadsheet

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 2 / Output 2.2[edit]

GOAL: 5 of the 15 prioritized repositories have at least 1 end-to-end test - task T206621
WHO: Zeljko

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 2 / Output 2.3[edit]

Evolve/develop tools and processes to support the PE refactoring effort to improve code health.
Develop common test strategy that enable teams to engage in more effective and efficient testing practices. (maybe should be output 2.4?)
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team

  • made progress on addressing some of the action items from discussions with CPT
  • Started putting strategy to paper

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 3 / Output 3.2[edit]

Speak at All Hands on the status of Technical Debt
Engage and coach development teams on their approach to managing technical debt.
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team

  • This goal area to be absorbed into broader Code Health goals moving forward.

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 4 / Output 4.1[edit]

GOALs: Code Health Dashboard with 50% of repositories covered.
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team
  • SonarQube is available as experimental job for all extensions. Key step towards general availability of Code Health metrics dashboard.

Other non-goal work[edit]





  • 2.15.11 still needs deployed due to healthcheck rollback

QA/Code Health[edit]




  • What I plan to do this week
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?




  • What I plan to do this week
    • Slides for c-level/board(?) meeting at end of month
    • Book reading
    • TechConf planning with Deb (meeting with big group on Monday)
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


  • What I plan to do this week
    • Mostly still working with the Multimedia team on SDC stuff
    • Book reading!
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


  • What I plan to do this week
    • Work on stewardship best practices, include relocate Code Stewardship page
    • Work on test strategy goal
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


  • What I plan to do this week
    • Work on Localsettings in local-charts (automate manual config/install steps)
    • Other local-charts work
    • Read Book
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


  • What I plan to do this week
    • CI WG
      • Pivotal meeting
      • Concourse
    • Read CD book
  • What I'm blocked on
    • possibly getting ill
  • Other?




  • What I plan to do this week
    • T206675 1.33.0-wmf.21 deployment blockers
    • T217901 Evaluate Phabricator Harbormaster
      • Mukunda will be glad to have a 1:1 if you'd like help with this one.
    • T214478 The first Selenium test for AbuseFilter
    • T217051 Echo notifications automation smoke test
  • What I'm blocked on
    • code health metrics (Kosta) blocked on releng (Tyler/Antoine)
      • thcipriani: I talked to Kosta a bit about this on Friday, I'd like to make sonarqube be triggered after the existing coverage jobs rather than reimplement the coverage jobs (I think thtat makes sense anyway)
  • Other?
    • Google calendar and Deployments calendar are not in sync :(


Team Kanban Board Review and Triage[edit]

Once / month-ish review of backlog(s)[edit]

Kanban stats[edit]

Burnup chart