Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20190123

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Contents

2019-01-23[edit]

Vacations/Important dates[edit]

https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/HR_Corner/Holiday_List
How to do it
  • January 28 - February 1 - All Hands
  • February 2 - February 9 - Lars on vacation
  • February Fri. 8th - Mon. Feb. 17th - Antoine, school vacations
  • February 18 (President's Day) - US Staff
  • February 19 - March 1 - Dan, vacation
  • March 11 (WMF Holiday) - US Staff
  • April 22 (WMF Holiday) - US Staff
  • April 22nd - Antoine, Easter
  • May 1st - Antoine, labor day
  • May 8th - Antoine, 1945 victory
  • May 30th-31th - Antoine, Feast of the Ascension
  • June 10th - Antoine, Pentecost -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastertide for Antoine/France Easter holidays
  • May 27 (Memorial Day) - US Staff
  • June 19 (Juneteenth) - US Staff

Rotating positions[edit]

Train[edit]

Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/s3KW8bpsXhYF/#R
  • Jan 07 - wmf.12 - Dan
  • Jan 14 - wmf.13 - Dan
  • Jan 21 - wmf.14 - Mukunda
  • Jan 28 - wmf.15 - No Train (All Hands)
  • Feb 04 - wmf.16 - Mukunda
  • Feb 11 - wmf.17 - Tyler
  • Feb 18 - wmf.18 - Tyler
  • Feb 25 - wmf.19 - Antoine


SoS[edit]

  • Zeljko 4eva! :)

Team Business[edit]

All Hands[edit]

Tuesday (1/29): Team day (mini-offsite)[edit]

  • Location: 251 Post St, Room 610
  • Put any must-talk-abouts at: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/releng-allhands-teamday-topics
  • Tyler and JR: You were selected (by Deb?) to pick up our materials (pens, paper, snacks) from the WMF Office that morning
    • I have an invite to our "breather space" on 2019-01-29
  • TODO: Greg will forward email after meeting.
    • Looks like Deb already took care of that.
  • thcipriani: is anything happening re:pipeline cabal? Should I follow up on that email?
    • Yes.

Photos![edit]

Lightning talks[edit]


Book club[edit]

  • It's now a thing: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Book_club
  • Buy your copy and expense it.
  • SUMMARY: Read Part I
  • TODO: Greg to find a magical time to discuss
    • During team day on Tuesday of All Hands? Otherwise it'd be the week of March 4th
      • There's almost no chance I'll read it by then, I think some people didn't buy yet (Antoine?)
        • I just ordered one for Antoine, will give it to him at All Hands
      • Thcipriani: I have read the foreword/ToC so far
      • Jeena: I read some :)
      • Lars: I seem to be ahead with my reading (finished ch2 today)
  • PLAN
    • Discuss what people have read thus far on Tuesday
    • March 4th (TODO: Greg put in calendar): discuss Part I plus Chapter 5.


Spring Offsite[edit]

  • Location: Chicago, IL (Central timezone, UTC-5 while we're there)
  • Dates: Arriving on Sunday (4/21), Flying out on Friday (4/26)
    • That's a really bad time for me :( Easter (4/21) is a big family event in Croatia.
    • TODO: Greg to ask Travel to move it to Mon-Sat.
  • Activity day: Send your suggestions to me if you have them :) I'll make the voting spreadsheet later.
    • Chicago Bulls!!!11!oneone
    • I've heard there's good pizza :P
    • Greenfield park conservatory?
  • Program: Haven't started yet :)


Technical Advice IRC meeting[edit]


Draft Gerrit policy from Tim[edit]


Incoming/Needs attention[edit]

Quibble should run `npm install` and `npm run selenium-test` for each extension/skin that has Selenium tests[edit]


LFS objects are not mirroring from Github through Phab to Gerrit consistently[edit]

Mukunda to follow up on: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T212962 - articlequality repo mirroring is broken

  • this is more complex than it seemed initially, I'm working on sorting this out
  • TODO: Greg, make time on Tuesday for this to be a discussion topic, especially wrt to Continuous Deployment and mid-term planning
  • TODO: Let's verify how services are handled.

Scrum of Scrums[edit]

Greg to copy to etherpad after meeting: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Scrum-of-Scrums

Incoming from last week[edit]

  • Blocking: nothing...


Outgoing this week (wrong section heading is on purpose for copy/pasting into Scrum of Scrums etherpad[edit]

Release Engineering[edit]


Callouts[edit]

  • Release Engineering


Train status and happenings[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Roles#Train_Conductor
  • Completely uneventful so far this week
    • Change logs generated by jenkins: FTW 🍻


Quarterly Goals for Q3[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technology/Goals/2018-19_Q3

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Automate the generation of change log notes
WHO: Mukunda, (Tyler on backup)
  • Changelog generated from Jenkins job
  • Mukunda and I created a plan for updating automagically
    • The main challenge is automatically determining the correct version numbers for the job parameters.

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Investigate notification methods for developers with changes that are riding any given train
WHO: Mukunda, Tyler
  • maybe rethink this plan given curren situation....
    • Let's comment on the patch in gerrit!...or something
    • best to send out an email so that folks can be involved in the planning phase


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Instrument Quibble for data collection
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Create a graph where time is spent and make a prioritized list for improvements.
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 2 / Output 2.1[edit]

GOAL: Select and integrate a code health metric solution into our tooling.
WHO: JR, ...

No activity

TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

GOALS:
Adopt more services into Deployment pipeline - task T212801
cxserver, ORES (partially), citoid, changeprop, cpjobqueue (stretch)
Deploy eventgate
WHO: Dan, Tyler, Lars


TEC12 (DevProd): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Conduct interviews with development stakeholders and compile a report that informs future work creation of a rubric.
WHO: Jeena, Mukunda
  • Pretty much finished up interviews with everyone who has contacted me
  • Working on the analysis step



TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOALs:
Develop and communicate guidelines and best practices for successful Code Stewardship.
(Continued from Q2) Update/refresh review queue (review process for initial code deployment)
WHO: JR

Started developing guidelines/best practices this week. Plan to continue working on that the remainder of the week.

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 2 / Output 2.2[edit]

GOAL: 5 of the 15 prioritized repositories have at least 1 end-to-end test - task T206621
WHO: Zeljko
  • contacted all teams, twice in couple of weeks
  • no reply from most teams
  • one team said "no thanks" for one repo
  • one team said "let's do it" for one repo
  • one team already has a patch in gerrit for one repo
  • out team discussing phab/phab


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 2 / Output 2.3[edit]

GOALs:
Evolve/develop tools and processes to support the PE refactoring effort to improve code health.
Develop common test strategy that enable teams to engage in more effective and efficient testing practices. (maybe should be output 2.4?)
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team

Will be meeting with Kunal and Corey re Code Coverage tooling.

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 3 / Output 3.2[edit]

GOALs:
Speak at All Hands on the status of Technical Debt
Engage and coach development teams on their approach to managing technical debt.
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team

No activity


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 4 / Output 4.1[edit]

GOALs: Code Health Dashboard with 50% of repositories covered.
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team

No activity


Other non-goal work[edit]

Selenium[edit]

  • T206621 5 of the 15 prioritized repositories have at least 1 end-to-end test - see TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 2 / Output 2.2

Gerrit[edit]


Phabricator[edit]

  • Mukunda is meeting with Daniel today to discuss server migration and disaster-recovery planning

Jenkins[edit]

QA/Code Health[edit]

Edward Tadros started in Audiences

SCAP[edit]

Standup![edit]

Antoine[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • docker-pkg improvement and tracking dependencies/outdated containers
    • Upgrade npm containers to s/python-minimal/python2.7/ required by node-gyp which dies with compiler.ast: no such module
    • if time allow get Quibble to run 'npm run selenium-test' / https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T199116
  • What I'm blocked on
    • CD book not available here. But will get it next week from Greg
  • Other?
    • Landing on Sunday noon or so.


Dan[edit]

excused

  • What I plan to do this week
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Greg[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • All Hands lightning talk prep
    • Finalize hiring
    • Get a rough agenda for us on Tuesday
    • Get the ISSOSTWG recommendation done
    • Respond to email from JR to Corey
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jean-Rene[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Focus on Stewardship activities
    • Code Review workgroup prework
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jeena[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Analyzing the interview data
    • Reading the book
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Lars[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
  • What I'm blocked on
    • n/a
  • Other?
    • gave up trying to deploy locally modified Blubberoid with helm to local minikube: this doesn't seem like a reasonable toolset without a lot of step-by-pasteable-step instructions


Mukunda[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Plan phabricator server migration and disaster recovery with Daniel
    • Conduct the train
    • Buy a house (Closing this evening!) \o/ time to fix all the things!
    • A bit of automating the train
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Tyler[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Continue CI image rebuild -- only npm left -- maybe antoine is doing this? cf: line 308 -- tl;dr: I'll work on this today
    • Code review:
      • Blubber
      • Keyholder
      • Scap
    • FInish moving scap -> Gerrit (wrap up existing patches on phab)
  • What I'm blocked on
    • If I get 1/2 of what I plan to do this week accomplished time doesn't work like I think it does.
  • Other?
    • Have only read Foreword of CD book


Zeljko[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • T206621 5 of the 15 prioritized repositories have at least 1 end-to-end test
      • T214478 The first Selenium test for AbuseFilter
      • T214480 The first Selenium test for TimedMediaHandler
    • T207044 Give a code health metrics talk at All Hands
  • What I'm blocked on
    • People not replying to my mails :( re T206621
  • Other?


Grooming[edit]

Team Kanban Board Review and Triage[edit]


Once / month-ish review of backlog(s)[edit]


Kanban stats[edit]

Burnup chart