Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20190114

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


2019-01-14[edit]

Vacations/Important dates[edit]

https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/HR_Corner/Holiday_List
How to do it
  • January 20 - North American Lunar Eclipse: https://www.space.com/42976-blood-moon-lunar-eclipse-2019-coming-soon.html
  • January 21 (MLK Day) - US Staff - team meeting cancelled?
    • Moving to Wednesday, overwriting those 1:1s
  • January 28 - February 1 - All Hands
  • February 2 - February 9 - Lars on vacation
  • February Fri. 8th - Mon. Feb. 17th - Antoine, school vacations
  • February 18 (President's Day) - US Staff
  • February 19 - March 1 - Dan, vacation
  • March 11 (WMF Holiday) - US Staff
  • April 22 (WMF Holiday) - US Staff
  • April 22nd - Antoine, Easter
  • May 1st - Antoine, labor day
  • May 8th - Antoine, 1945 victory
  • May 30th-31th - Antoine, Feast of the Ascension
  • June 10th - Antoine, Pentecost -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastertide for Antoine/France Easter holidays
  • May 27 (Memorial Day) - US Staff
  • June 19 (Juneteenth) - US Staff

Rotating positions[edit]

Train[edit]

Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/s3KW8bpsXhYF/#R
  • Jan 07 - wmf.12 - Dan
  • Jan 14 - wmf.13 - Dan
  • Jan 21 - wmf.14 - Mukunda
  • Jan 28 - wmf.15 - No Train (All Hands)
  • Feb 04 - wmf.16 - Mukunda
  • Feb 11 - wmf.17 - Tyler
  • Feb 18 - wmf.18 - Tyler
  • Feb 25 - wmf.19 - Antoine


SoS[edit]

  • Zeljko 4eva! :)

Team Business[edit]

Book club[edit]


Spring Offsite[edit]

Incoming Triage/Needs attention[edit]

Gerrit 2.15.7[edit]

  • https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T210785
  • After break
  • Prep this week
  • Tyler to ping Antoine
  • Jeena may join in as well
  • Dan may want to as well - depends on schedule + Train
  • 2019-01-07: thcipriani did nothing here
  • 2019-01-14: this is now 2.15.8
    • thcipriani updated stable-2.15
    • plan is to wrestle plugins today
    • hopefully this week


LFS objects are not mirroring from Github through Phab to Gerrit consistently[edit]

Mukunda to follow up on: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T212962 - articlequality repo mirroring is broken

  • this is more complex than it seemed initially, I'm working on sorting this out
  • TODO: Greg, make time on Tuesday for this to be a discussion topic, especially wrt to Continuous Deployment and mid-term planning


Scrum of Scrums[edit]

Greg to copy to etherpad after meeting: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Scrum-of-Scrums

Incoming from last week[edit]

  • Blocking: nothing...


Outgoing this week (wrong section heading is on purpose for copy/pasting into Scrum of Scrums etherpad[edit]

Release Engineering[edit]


Callouts[edit]

  • Release Engineering


Train status and happenings[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Roles#Train_Conductor

Quarterly Goals for Q3[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technology/Goals/2018-19_Q3

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Automate the generation of change log notes
WHO: Mukunda, (Tyler on backup)


TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Investigate notification methods for developers with changes that are riding any given train
WHO: Mukunda, Tyler
  • Maybe we should send an email this week?
    • add all committers to train task
    • TODO: Tyler to draft a thing

TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Instrument Quibble for data collection
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Create a graph where time is spent and make a prioritized list for improvements.
WHO: Mukunda, Antoine


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 2 / Output 2.1[edit]

GOAL: Select and integrate a code health metric solution into our tooling.
WHO: JR, ...


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

GOALS:
Adopt more services into Deployment pipeline - task T212801
cxserver, ORES (partially), citoid, changeprop, cpjobqueue (stretch)
Deploy eventgate
WHO: Dan, Tyler, Lars

TEC12 (DevProd): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Conduct interviews with development stakeholders and compile a report that informs future work creation of a rubric.
WHO: Jeena, Mukunda
  • Did some interviews last week
  • More this week
  • Need to record the results somewhere outside of my notebook


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOALs:
Develop and communicate guidelines and best practices for successful Code Stewardship.
(Continued from Q2) Update/refresh review queue (review process for initial code deployment)
WHO: JR


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 2 / Output 2.2[edit]

GOAL: 5 of the 15 prioritized repositories have at least 1 end-to-end test - task T206621
WHO: Zeljko
  • commit for one of the selected repos created before I've contacted them https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/AbuseFilter/+/476519
  • contacted people from all relevant teams (could not find mail lists for teams) including #releng ;)
  • should have added Greg to cc to make it more scary :)
    • got a contact for PageTriage, followed up
    • Flow said no thanks
    • wmde and fr-tech people forwarded to their list, no reply yet
    • language-eng looped in more people, no reply yet
    • releng replied, no next steps yet ;P


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 2 / Output 2.3[edit]

GOALs:
Evolve/develop tools and processes to support the PE refactoring effort to improve code health.
Develop common test strategy that enable teams to engage in more effective and efficient testing practices. (maybe should be output 2.4?)
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 3 / Output 3.2[edit]

GOALs:
Speak at All Hands on the status of Technical Debt
Engage and coach development teams on their approach to managing technical debt.
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team



TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 4 / Output 4.1[edit]

GOALs: Code Health Dashboard with 50% of repositories covered.
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team



Other non-goal work[edit]

Selenium[edit]

  • ERR No Time

Gerrit[edit]

Phabricator[edit]

  • Meeting with Evan Priestley today about Corey's plan to fund upstream development on a couple of features:
    • Reporting/Charting - $9,000
    • Workboard Column Triggers - $4,000
    • Workboard Realtime Updates - $3,000
    • Task Types - Needs Discussion
    • PERT/Dependency Graph - Needs Discussion
    • More Flavors of Dependencies - Needs Discussion


Jenkins[edit]

QA/Code Health[edit]

SCAP[edit]

Python 2/3 compat changes needing review:


Standup![edit]

Antoine[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Continue on CI-slipway (migrate out of permanent slaves) https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/3722/
    • CI jobs now use tox 2.9.1 (was 2.6.0). Cache corruption for binary wheels since we switched from Jessie to Stretch, libs are different (typically mysql-python linked in cache to libmysqlclient.so.18 which does not exist in Stretch). Had to nuke castor cache.
    • Timo migrating npm jobs to NodeJS 10 (and npm 6)
  • What I'm blocked on
    • E too many things (haven't looked at optimizing Quibble (marble: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/3765/ )
    • No bandwith to context switch to the SonarQube effort :-/
      • Does no-antoine block this work?
        • Tyler has reviewed the commit, so not blocked.
          • Ah coool!! -- Antoine :)
  • Other?

Dan[edit]

Greg[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Read and respond to a question from the other Evan P(rodromou) re mutation testing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation_testing
      • Guillaume L (gehel) gave a talk on this last on this!
    • Still need to make myself decide if I have any feedback on the Gerrit Policy from Tim
    • CTO hiring
    • Other hiring
    • mid-year check-ins continuing
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jean-Rene[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jeena[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • interviews for local dev
    • Need to update the phabricator task
    • Record interview notes somewhere
    • If have time, try to work on containerizing one of services in our list
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Lars[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • finish minikube + helm + blubberoid setup notes \o/
    • process feedback to my CD essay, continue discussion, maybe widen audience (wikitech? google doc? some mailing list?)
      • pipeline group?
    • start learning Go
    • start re-reading CD book
  • What I'm blocked on
    • brain capacity
  • Other?
    • more feedback on CD essay is welcome!


Mukunda[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Meet with Evan Priestley about funded phabricator changes
    • Still need to figure out what is actually broken in articlequality repo mirroring
  • review tyler's patches
    • gpg signing:
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Tyler[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • scap 2/3 compat work
    • draft email to increase developers awarement of train
    • Gerrit 2.15.8
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Zeljko[edit]

Grooming[edit]

Team Kanban Board Review and Triage[edit]


Once / month-ish review of backlog(s)[edit]


Kanban stats[edit]

Burnup chart