Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20181217

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


2018-12-17[edit]

Vacations/Important dates[edit]

https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/HR_Corner/Holiday_List
How to do it
  • Friday's in December: Greg off
  • Dec 20-21: Dan - if Greg approves it :)
  • Dec 21st: thcipriani
  • Dec 21st: mukunda also
  • December 24 - January 1 - Holidays (Christmas + New Years)
  • Jan 2nd: mukunda maybe

Rotating positions[edit]

Train[edit]

Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/?project=PHID-PROJ-fmcvjrkfvvzz3gxavs3a&statuses=open%28%29&group=none&order=newest#R
  • Dec 10 - wmf.8 - Zeljko
  • Dec 17 - wmf.9 - Zeljko
  • Dec 24 - wmf.10 - No Train (Holiday break)
  • Dec 31 - wmf.11 - No Train (Holiday break)
  • Jan 07 - wmf.12 - Dan
  • Jan 14 - wmf.13 - Dan
  • Jan 21 - wmf.14 - Mukunda
  • Jan 28 - wmf.15 - No Train (All Hands)
  • Feb 04 - wmf.16 - Mukunda
  • Feb 11 - wmf.17 - Tyler
  • Feb 18 - wmf.18 - Tyler
  • Feb 25 - wmf.19 - Antoine


SoS[edit]

  • Zeljko for ever :)

Team Business[edit]

All Hands[edit]


Incoming Triage/Needs attention[edit]

  • Migrate the Integration cloud project to eqiad1-r
    • https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T208803
    • 2018-11-12: Need a point person to work with Andrew on this
    • 2018-11-19: Tyler and Andrew migrated a few, no issues so far. integration-publishing migrated. castor02 can be migrated the same ways as other slaves, culprit might happen see task for details.
    • 2018-11-26: Need to migrate `castor` tomorrow morning.

Gerrit 2.15.7 https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T210785

  • After break
  • Prep this week
  • Tyler to ping Antoine
  • Jeena may join in as well

Scrum of Scrums[edit]

Greg to copy to etherpad after meeting: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Scrum-of-Scrums

Incoming from last week[edit]

  • Blocking: nothing...


Outgoing this week (wrong section heading is on purpose for copy/pasting into Scrum of Scrums etherpad[edit]

Release Engineering[edit]

Callouts[edit]

  • Release Engineering


Train status and happenings[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Roles#Train_Conductor


Quarterly Goals for Q2[edit]

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Release MediaWiki 1.32
WHO: Mukunda, (Tyler on backup)
  • If no new blockers, we'll call it the final release
  • Cindy will review and decide.
  • A meeting this thursday to make the call/do the release.


TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Determine the procedure and requirements for an automated MediaWiki branch cut.
WHO: Mukunda, Tyler, Antoine
  • Few open patches to merge, listed in SoS
  • Requirements determined, getting them merged


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Formalize the collection of CI infrastructure and tooling metrics
WHO: Dan, Antoine

tl;dr: talk with godog about what we want/need and what they can do with/for us.


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 2 / Output 2.3[edit]

GOAL: Develop set of metrics to assess incident reports/post mortems - task T206622
WHO: Greg, Zeljko



TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

GOALS:
Adopt more services into Deployment pipeline - task T205919
Migrate graphoid to the Deployment pipeline
Deploy zotero v2 to the Deployment pipeline
Deploy blubberoid
WHO: Dan, Tyler, Lars
  • graphoid in stewardship review
  • zotero Yes Done
  • blubberoid today \o/

TEC12 (DevProd): Outcome 2 / Output 2.1[edit]

GOAL: The Annual Developer Productivity Survey results are synthesized and shared, creating a first year baseline.
WHO: Mukunda, Greg
  • Jeena started qualitative review/coding
  • ACTION: Mukunda, Jeena, and Greg to sync on Wednesday morning, get it out by Thursday


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Update/refresh review queue (review process for initial code deployment)
WHO: JR

No activity.

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 2 / Output 2.2[edit]

GOAL: 5 of the 15 prioritized repositories have at least 1 end-to-end test - task T206621
WHO: Zeljko

Late a quarter. :/ Željko will send initial e-mail to repository owners this quarter. I think it is doable to catch up next quarter.


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 2 / Output 2.3[edit]

GOAL: Assess Platform unit test practices and define improvement plan
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team

Started conversation with CPT regarding Q3 goals. More to come this week.

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 3 / Output 3.2[edit]

GOAL: Core Platform and Search Platform teams are using TDM PoC
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team

done.


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 3 / Output 3.4[edit]

GOALs:
Identify key Tech Debt areas
Put in place Tech Debt management process for PEP
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team

done.

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 4 / Output 4.1[edit]

GOAL: Metrics defined and deployed for all 4 Code Health areas.
WHO: JR, Code Health Metrics Working Group

no activity. Q2 goals done.

Other non-goal work[edit]

TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcume 2 / Output 2.3[edit]

GOAL: Outline options for managing incident reports creation, follow-ups, and analysis
WHO: Greg, Mukunda, Zeljko
Task: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T208632
  • ACTION: Greg to review and probably resolve.
  • ACTION: Zeljko to write down his ideas of specific improvements to the report template and the script.


Selenium[edit]

  • No major progress this quarter. :|
  • T206624 Q2 Selenium framework improvements

Gerrit[edit]

  • 2.15.7 update prep

Phabricator[edit]

  • Got Corey introduced to Evan and got a conversation started about upstream work on the various Phabricator improvements we want to sponsor
  • We have the beginnings of a plan for which improvements to tackle ourselves, which ones to push upstream, etc.

Jenkins[edit]

QA/Code Health[edit]

Code Health Newsletter published today (finally). Kinda good that it was delayed as I got to add the first "help wanted" request.

SCAP[edit]

  • Meeting with thcpriani, mmodell and effie later today
    • something about scap state?
    • Meeting on Friday went over the horrifying history and myriad functions of scap.
    • Working on what's need for "percentage rollout" now that we have shared understanding


Standup![edit]

Antoine[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Dan[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • setting up a meeting w/ filippo about collecting CI build metrics
    • seeing off Blubber
    • deciding on blubber logo (help! vote?)
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Greg[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Internal Support for Open Source Tools Working Group (mouth full) survey analysis
    • Dev Productivity survey with Jeena and Mukunda
    • Get Jeena registered for the Hackathon
    • Q3 goals meeting on Thursday - 3 hours /o\
    • Review and probably resolve https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T208632
    • Vote on logos!
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jean-Rene[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Define Code Review Workgroup scope
    • Work on metrics for incident reports pushing out until Q3
    • Wrap up Q2 goal loose ends (tasks, etc..)
    • Wrap up Q3 goal planning
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jeena[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Finish analyzing survey results
    • Participate in blubberoid deployment
    • Participate in gerrit upgrade(?) (thcipriani: will setup pairing session with Antoine this week)
    • Register for hackathon
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Lars[edit]


Mukunda[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Follow up with Corey Floyd and Evan Priestley about phabricator upstream work.
    • Release MediaWiki 1.32.0 on thursday (or cut another rc if we have any blockers)
    • Help with finishing the dev satisfaction survey results and publish them by EOW
    • Taking friday off, prepare for next week trip to Boston!
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Tyler[edit]


Zeljko[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • T206663 1.33.0-wmf.9 deployment blockers
    • T206621 5 of the 15 prioritized repositories have at least 1 end-to-end test
      • Send the e-mail :|
    • T204871 Investigate the spikes of "web request took longer than 60 seconds and timed out" during deployments
    • paperwork
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Grooming[edit]

Team Kanban Board Review and Triage[edit]


Once / month-ish review of backlog(s)[edit]


Kanban stats[edit]

Burnup chart