Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20180305

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Contents

2018-03-05[edit]

Vacations/Important dates[edit]

https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/HR_Corner/Holiday_List
How to do it
  • Mar 12-16 (week): Greg vacation
  • Mar 26-29 (week since WMF holiday Fri): thcipriani vacation
  • Mar 30 (Fri): WMF Holiday
  • April 2: Željko (Holidays in Croatia - Easter Monday)
  • Apr 3-13: Greg vacation
  • April 16 (Mon): WMF Holiday
  • May 1: Željko (Holidays in Croatia - Labor Day / May Day)
  • May 15?/16/17: Team offsite in Barcelona
  • May 18-20: Wikimedia Hackathon in Barcelona
  • May 21 (Mon): Tech-Mgt F2F
  • May 31: Željko (Holidays in Croatia - Corpus Christi)

Rotating positions[edit]

Train[edit]

Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/?project=PHID-PROJ-fmcvjrkfvvzz3gxavs3a&statuses=open%28%29&group=none&order=newest#R
  • Feb 19 - wmf.22 - Mukunda
  • Feb 26 - wmf.23 - Tyler
  • Mar 05 - wmf.24 - Tyler <----
  • Mar 12 - wmf.25 - Chad
  • Mar 19 - wmf.26 - Chad
  • Mar 26 - wmf.27 - Mukunda
  • Apr 02 - wmf.28 - Mukunda
  • Apr 09 - wmf.29 - Tyler
  • Apr 16 - wmf.30 - Tyler

SoS[edit]

  • Feb 19 - Chad
  • Feb 26 - Mukunda
  • Mar 05 - Mukunda <---
  • Mar 12 - Tyler
  • Mar 19 - Tyler
  • Mar 26 - Chad
  • Apr 02 - Chad
  • Apr 09 - Mukunda
  • Apr 16 - Mukunda

Team Business[edit]

Updates[edit]

See emails from Greg over the weekend :)


Scrum of Scrums[edit]

Greg to copy to etherpad after meeting: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Scrum-of-Scrums

This week[edit]

Release Engineering[edit]

  • Blocking
    • None?
  • Blocked
  • Updates

Last week[edit]

  • Blocking
    • None?
  • Blocked
    • None
  • Updates
    • None


Train status and happenings[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Roles#Train_Conductor


Past week status updates[edit]

All of it in table form: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Goals/201718Q3

Quarterly Goals[edit]

Program 1: Outcome 5: Milestone 1: Develop and migrate to a JavaScript-based browser testing stack[edit]

Due: End of this quarter
What: Specific improvements to the now canonical framework, see: task T182421, notably:
Upgrade webdriverIO to version 4.9
Investigate replacing nodemw with mwbot
Video recording for Selenium tests in Node.js
Task: task T182421

Done:

  • T188553 Vector browser test blocking merge in Minerva - Jon R reverted my commit to move a test from core to Vector
  • T187862 Update README file for Selenium tests - James F merged most of my commits
  • T185315 selenium-EXTENSION-jessie Jenkins job should have e-mail notification - self merged after 3 +1s
  • T180777 Move portal deployment artifacts into their own repo: wikimedia/portals/deploy now has Selenium tests
  • T188606 Selenium pageObjects export constructor vs. new instance: recommended contacting upstream since we are closely following their recommendations
  • T99955 Write browser tests for DonationInterface - Selenium test sample created, but there is a problem with running it in CI

Waiting:

  • T188744 Find a few people interested in reviewing Selenium patches - 3 (out of 9 contacted) people replied, that should be enough but will wait a few more days, just in case
  • T188740 Post mortem for T139740 Port Selenium tests from Ruby to Node.js - waiting for JR to set up the meeting (he is in charge of post mortems, as far as I know), but I can do that too

In progress:

  • T187859 Move one Selenium tests from mediawiki/core to mediawiki/skins/Vector - Jenkins job has to be refactored slightly
  • T185011 Create selenium-MediaWiki-jessie daily Jenkins job - both Jenkins job and Selenium tests have to be refactored
  • T185094 Update page object pattern in Selenium tests - stuck with `UserLoginPage.open is not a function`, asked for help from newly formed Selenium support group
  • T181284 Investigate replacing nodemw with mwbot - upstream does not have license file, but has license in package.json, will send pull request

Program 1: Outcome 5: Objective 1: Maintain existing shared Continuous Integration infrastructure[edit]

Goals
Draft requirements for a Kubernetes based solution for CI - task T183513
Migrate MediaWiki PHPUnit tests to Shipyard (docker-based CI) (~40% of Nodepool usage) - task T183512
Will be worked on after the long tail task T187797
Unify production and CI docker image build process - task T177276
Yes Done 01/15



Program 3: Outcome 1: Objective 2: Identify and find stewards for high-priority/high use code segment orphans[edit]

Due: End of quarter
task T174091

In progess - stewardship reviews

Program 3: Outcome 2: Objective 2: Define and implement a process to regularly address technical debt across the Foundation[edit]

Due: End of quarter
task T174095

No progress

Program 3: Outcome 2: Objective 3: Promote and surface important technical debt topics at large gatherings of Wikimedia developers (e.g., DevSummit and Hackathon(s))[edit]

Due: End of next quarter
task T174096

No progress

Program 6: Outcome 2: Objective 2: Set up a continuous integration and deployment pipeline[edit]

Due: End of this quarter
Keyword: SSD
phab project: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2453/
Goal:
Verify basic functionality of 'production' deployment and image (initially targeting mathoid):
Functional PoC within integration in the deployment-pipeline
Deploy to isolated k8s
  • Can Tyler/Dan review https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T170453 and it's dependencies in prep for Q4/end of fiscal year plan, plzkthxbai
  • New docker packaged \o/
  • Still need to review Dan's updates for python and some refactoring, but lives package is reviewed
  • minikube package, haven't heard from alexandros yet


Quaterly non-goal "Work"[edit]

Program 1: Outcome 1: Objective 1: Scap (Tech Debt Sprint FY201718-Q2)[edit]

workboard
  • New scap debian package this week


Program 1: Outcome 5: Objective 1: Maintain existing shared Continuous Integration infrastructure[edit]

Program 1: Outcome 6: Milestone 1: Maintain Gerrit[edit]

Program 1: Outcome 6: Milestone 2: Maintain Phabricator[edit]

Streamline logspam workflows by adding some integration with phabricator
Store git-lfs (and other phab uploads) in swift: task T182085
    • Working on swift support for phab files and git-lfs


Other work[edit]

Standup![edit]

Antoine[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
  • What I'm blocked on
    • MediaWiki services to Blubber!
  • Other?
    • Alexandros got us Docker 17.12 (on CI slaves and contint1001/contint2001) !!!


Chad[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Dan[edit]


Greg[edit]


Jean-Rene[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Incident reviews
    • Logspam review/sync up.
    • Update stewardship reviews page
    • Stewardship reviews pivot
  • What I'm blocked on
    • Review queue task from post mortem - Daniel's not been reponsive. Need to just schedule some time with him as async isn't working
  • Other?


Mukunda[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Tyler[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • reviewing code
    • doing train
  • What I'm blocked on
    • minikube packaging
  • Other?
    • I guess we need to ignore eslint in scap linting? I guess?


Zeljko[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • T187859 Move one Selenium tests from mediawiki/core to mediawiki/skins/Vector - Jenkins job has to be refactored slightly
    • T185011 Create selenium-MediaWiki-jessie daily Jenkins job - both Jenkins job and Selenium tests have to be refactored
    • T181284 Investigate replacing nodemw with mwbot - upstream does not have license file, but has license in package.json, will send pull request
    • T180144 Upgrade WebdriverIO to 4.9 - it's up to 4.11 now, there is a simple one-line fix, will do it and then look at what caused problems
  • What I'm blocked on
    • T185094 Update page object pattern in Selenium tests - stuck with `UserLoginPage.open is not a function`, asked for help from newly formed Selenium support group
  • Other?
    • T188520 Use a more complex password for WikiAdmin in selenium tests - Antoine and I talked about it, but I have forgot what we agreed on :)
    • T188744 Find a few people interested in reviewing Selenium patches - 3 (out of 9 contacted) people replied, that should be enough but will wait a few more days, just in case
    • T188740 Post mortem for T139740 Port Selenium tests from Ruby to Node.js - waiting for JR to set up the meeting (he is in charge of post mortems, as far as I know), but I can do that too

Grooming[edit]

Team Kanban Board Review and Triage[edit]


Once / month-ish review of backlog(s)[edit]


Kanban stats[edit]

Burnup chart