Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20160711

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

2016-07-11[edit]

Vacations/Important dates[edit]

How to do it: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Time_off

  • July 14th Antoine (bank holiday but got meeting :p)
  • July 14t+15th: Tyler (friends coming to town)
  • July 15th: Mukunda's Birthday on the 16th .. taking day off
  • July 15th: Chad
  • July 25 - August 15: Željko vacation
  • July 30 - August 21: Antoine vacation. At home 1st week.
  • August 1st - 5th: Mukunda - vacation: Concert & relaxation

...

  • January 2017: Dev Summit + All Hands (presumably)

Team Business[edit]

Rotating positions and absences[edit]

Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/u/blockers

weeks of June 27 and July 4[edit]

weeks of July 11 and 18[edit]


weeks of July 25 and Aug 1[edit]


Time spent spreadsheet[edit]


Actions from last meeting[edit]

  • none?

Scrum of Scrums[edit]

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/64/
Blocked on us: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/h7YTCBTJsepS/#R

Last week[edit]

  • Blocking
    • None?
  • Blocked
  • Update July 11th:
    • Chase/Tyler/Antoine had meeting on Thursday clarified lot of questions
    • scandium kind of old, might want a new host afterall (maybe contint1001?)

This week[edit]

  • Blocking
  • Blocked
  • Updates
    • Call out Gerrit upgrade/downtime if that's still relevant (no $DATETIME yet, but remind everyone that it *WILL* be happening *VERY* soon, so be aware)


Other Team Business[edit]

  • Upgrade mariadb in deployment-prep from Precise/MariaDB 5.5 to Jessie/MariaDB 5.10 https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T138778
    • Blocking a wild range of feature requests
    • Need an owner and/or a pairing
    • What is the priority? Check with Jaime. TODO: Greg. We have other priorities.


  • SWAT deploys next steps:
    • "Update new SWAT member process and deploying documentation in prep for adding European SWAT window" - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T139545
    • "Identify inaugural SWAT members for the European SWAT window" - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T139544
      • volunteers so far: Dereckson, JanZ, Antoine
    • Hold a couple official training runs? Just for EU timezones (eg: just Antoine) or something Mukunda/Tyler/Chad could do as well?
  • Ideas
    • "see one, do one, revert one, teach one"
    • pair review documentation
    • TODO: Zeljko do an 8am Pacific SWAT deploy with Tyler
    • TODO: After that, update docs, after that, doit
  • Gerrit upgrade
    • what's left? Rumblings of Zuul issues?
    • potential Zuul issues need more testing

Q1 goal/project check-in[edit]

Phase out Ubuntu Precise[edit]

keyresult tasks:

  • Replace primary production Continuous Integration host (gallium) - task T95757
  • Upgrade Phabricator database servers to Maria10/Jessie - task T138460
  • Upgrade Beta Cluster database servers to Maria10/Jessie - task T138778


Reduce Technical Debt[edit]

Perform a technical debt analysis of software and services maintained by WMF Release Engineering - task T138225


Streamline deployments[edit]

keyresult task:

  • Convert our production deployment strategy to use long-lived branches - task T89945


Non-Quarterly goal work[edit]

CI Scaling/Nodepool[edit]


Browser tests[edit]

Differential migration[edit]

Differential weekly (https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/diffuerential-weekly ) TODOs:


Beta Cluster[edit]

Other[edit]


People status updates[edit]

Antoine[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • track 1.28.0-wmf.8 blocking status (DONE)
  • Look at labs overloading (DONE)
  • Loop back with ops about scandium/network with Tyler (DONE)
  • Paper work (DONE)
  • European SWAT stuff (nop)

This week[edit]

  • Gerrit upgrade / Zuul upgrade
  • Target host to replace gallium
  • Sync up with Tyler for CI / gallium phase out
  • Moaar maintenance
  • Offsite site/date

Chad[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • Gerrit. Gerrit. Gerrit.

This week[edit]

  • Gerrit. Gerrit. Gerrit.

Dan[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • Getting back

This week[edit]

  • Getting back

Mukunda[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • Differential documentation
  • migrating Bryan's repos

This week[edit]

  • Phabricator upgrade on wednesday
  • Figure out where to start on the long lived branches project

Tyler[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • Scap packaing/features/stewarding
  • WQDS deployment move
  • Hopefully see some scandium movement!

This week[edit]

  • contint1001 movement (hopefully)
  • SWAT training
  • Deployment tooling puppet work(?) possible.

Željko[edit]

Last week[edit]

  • getting back
  • survey

This week[edit]