Wikimedia Challenge powered by ROSEdu
Wikimedia Challenge is an online coding contest that anyone in Romania and Moldova can join. The purpose is to write code for Wikimedia tech projects and have it merged in upstream. You get points for the number of lines and files touched, but also for the quality of the code you write (the reviewer's feedback). The contest runs between November 1st, 2016 - March 1st, 2017, during which we will hold 3 hackathons.
The challenge is organized by the Wikimedia community in Romania together with ROSEdu. The Wikimedia community in Romania is a group of volunteers working on the various Wikimedia projects. It is not yet organized as a User Group or chapter. The wikimedian organizing this meeting is Strainu.
ROSEdu (short for Romanian Open Source Education) is an organization based on a community formed by programming and open-source software enthusiasts, in the educational environment. ROSEdu's mission is to initiate, support and develop education based on the values of Open Source.
- First prize: A trip to the Wikimedia Hackathon 2017!
- Second prize: Goodies from the Wikimedia store
- A special prize for women: goodies from the Wikimedia store
Help and support
You can contact the organizers through:
For questions related to a specific project, you can contact the maintainer directly through their talk page or on IRC. For questions related to a specific bug, please use Phabricator (our bug tracker) directly - just answer to the specific bug you're interested in. This way your chances of getting an answer fast are increased.
- Wikimedia Challenge Hackathon v1, Saturday, Nov 12th, at Politehnica University, room EG 106
- Wikimedia Challenge Hackathon v2, Saturday, Feb 25th, at Politehnica University, room PRECIS 706
- Wikimedia Challenge Hackathon v3, Sunday, Feb 26th, at Politehnica University, room PRECIS 706
How to participate
Please make sure you read the rules of using this gerrit instance before you begin. This will prevent reviews being rejected because they don't follow the required rules.
- Create a new account at Wikimedia's gerrit (this is different from your Wikipedia account, if you have one)
- Register on the platform at challenge.rosedu.org
- Log in with the github account
- In the profile page click on "Connect Wikimedia account" and, when prompted, allow access to your gerrit account.
- Join the Wikimedia Challenge on the website
- Start submitting reviews on Gerrit. They will be graded automatically.
How to start writing code
- Choose a bug to work on. A list of "easy", un-mentored bugs is available, divided by project. There are also software projects which welcome new contributors and offer mentoring.
- Read about the project you chose to work on mediawiki.org is the place where all the information can be found. See where the code is, how to setup your environment and how to test your changes
- Make some changes and test them
- Learn about how to use Gerrit on the Wikimedia environment and create a review with your changes
- Wait for a review! Make sure you follow the review to see if any changes are needed
- The platform at challenge.rosedu.org should autmatically detect your contribution and score it.
What can I work on?
You can work on any project on http://gerrit.wikimedia.org , but only the projects listed below will be automatically graded. That shouldn't stop you from participating: if your favorite project is not in the list below, contact us and we'll add it.
For newcomers to the Wikimedia world, we recommend starting from the Annoying little bugs page, which contains easy bugs which should be relatively easy to fix. You can also find out how to contribute.
- MediaWiki - the software behind Wikipedia
- Language: PHP
- Gerrit project: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/admin/projects/mediawiki/core
- Bug tracking: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org
- Start-up guide: How to become a MediaWiki hacker
- VisualEditor - the new editor used on Wikipedia
- Language: JS+PHP
- Gerrit project: VisualEditor code and integration with MediaWiki
- Bug tracking: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/483/
- Pywikibot - framework for automated edits on MediaWiki wikis
- Language: Python
- Gerrit project: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/admin/projects/pywikibot/core
- Bug tracking: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/87/
- Docs: Manual:Pywikibot
- iOS app - Visit Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons from iOS devices
- Language: ObjectiveC
- Gerrit project: Wikipedia App and Commons App
- Bug tracking: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikipedia-ios-app-backlog/
- Docs: Wikimedia Apps/Team/iOS
- Android app - Visit Wikipedia from Android devices
- Language: Java
- Gerrit project: Wikipedia App
- Bug tracking: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikipedia-android-app-backlog/
- Docs: Wikimedia_Apps/Team/Wikipedia_Android_app_hacking