This is a collection of frequently asked questions about Wikibase. If you think something is missing feel free to contact Lydia for clarification.
- 1 Does Wikibase ship with a web API (like api.php) for remote access?
- 2 What is the difference between Wikibase and Wikidata?
- 3 Where can I find the source code?
- 4 I want to install Wikibase. How can I do so?
- 5 I want to help developing Wikibase. Is there anything I can do?
- 6 How do I stay updated about Wikibase development?
Does Wikibase ship with a web API (like api.php) for remote access?
Wikibase extends the standard MediaWiki action API with modules such as
action=wbsetsitelink and query modules such as
action=query&prop=pageterms. You access these modules via
api.php like the rest of the API and you can use wikidata:Special:ApiSandbox to explore the API. Some Wikimedia wikis run only the Wikibase client, while wikidata.org runs the full software.
What is the difference between Wikibase and Wikidata?
Wikidata is the name of the project that tries to build a free and open knowledge base. Wikibase is the name of the software that powers Wikidata. You can contribute to or read more about Wikidata here.
Where can I find the source code?
Wikibase consists of several components. You can find an overview of these components and where the source code is here.
I want to install Wikibase. How can I do so?
You can find detailed installation instructions here.
I want to help developing Wikibase. Is there anything I can do?
There are a lot of things you can do! Wikibase is open source, so anybody is welcome to contribute code.
- For a list of open tasks we think are suitable for volunteers, see this list on Bugzilla.
- If you want to have a look on all open bugs, see this list.
- To see what the development team is currently working on and give input, have a look at their scrum board.
- You can also help reviewing our code on Gerrit or for the related components on WMDE's GitHub or DataValues' GitHub.
If you're more into theory, you're more than welcome to take part in discussions about technical details and issues. The best way to get involved is joining our IRC channel connect on freenode or reading the mailing lists.
How do I stay updated about Wikibase development?
There are several ways to stay up to date and not miss anything: