HelloToday i was writing a post in arabic using the visual editor, but i tried everything but still can't write from left to right, i am pasting a text that i wrote on microsoft word, can you please ell me how to adjust it ? Thank you.
About this board
Your feedback about VisualEditor
If you are reporting a problem directly on this page, please include your web browser, computer operating system, and wiki skin (usually Vector, sometimes Monobook). The feedback tool within VisualEditor will include your user agent details instead.
Use this page to tell the Wikimedia developers your ideas and issues about using VisualEditor. The Editing team welcomes your feedback and ideas, especially on user interface decisions and the priorities for adding new features. All comments are read, in any language, but personal replies are not guaranteed.
Arabic right to left pasting
You can change the language setting from the Formatting dropdown in the toolbar. See Help:VisualEditor/User guide#Getting started: the VisualEditor toolbar .
VE formula editor
I posted some comments here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:Math/Roadmap#inline_vs._blockstyle because they concern the math extension as well as the editor
There haven't been any weekly updates for a month now, what's up?
Which weekly updates are you thinking about?
Link edit dialog
- show link suggestions, like the dialog invoked by a toolbar button in the regular editor does
- do not show just a picture - it only slows things down while being of little use (a tiny thumbnail). Instead,
- * only show if the link exists & make it clickable/hoverable in case i'm interested to check the target better, or
- * show the start of the target's text, like NavPopups do
Which button are you referring in your first point?
When you search for a link, you can open the suggestions in a new tab while searching (ctrl+click), or when you have selected the link. If the link does not exists, it is displayed as a red link.
The thumbnail is really useful when you create the same link multiple times, and the description from Wikidata can give you useful details when it exists.
Make this compatible with silk!
Can you make this compatible with silk browser?
Editing content of custom tags in VisualEditor?
are there any resources on how to make the content/value of custom tags created via tag extension (Manual:Tag extensions) edit-able inside VisualEditor?
Excluding the named parameters
@Juandev Hi, you asked a question in IRC -tech, and then went offline whilst I was researching and typing a reply! I'll re-paste here, and give a partial answer. Possibly someone else can correct or confirm...
- <Juandev> is there a way VE does not insert property and = of a template? just insert variable?
- <Juandev> maybe it could be influenced by td?
- <Juandev> example: https://cs.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Seznam_chr%C3%A1n%C4%9Bn%C3%BDch_%C3%BAzem%C3%AD_v_okrese_Plze%C5%88-sever&curid=617708&diff=13076070&oldid=13075248
- <Juandev> instead of "Kategorie = Bažantnice (nature reserve)" we need just "Bažantnice (nature reserve)" to be inserted
- <Juandev> now I am not sure if that is a problem of a template itself that it dont work properly with VE or we can fix it via TD?
First, why do you not want to insert the name of the parameter, in some cases?
I would guess: You want to reduce the quantity of wikitext in general, and also to make diffs even smaller. But possibly there are other reasons?
Partial answer (Note: the documentation about "anonymous/numbered/named-parameters" is at Help:Templates):
- I don't think this is possible.
- Using anonymous-parameters, instead of named-parameters, means that if an optional value is missing, we have to include the double-pipe "||". This is confusing to look at, and can more easily lead to breakages.
- Using anonymous-parameters, also requires that all the values must appear in an exact order.
- The named parameters can help newcomers to instantly understand what the wikitext means, instead of having to deduce it.
So, I would suggest that keeping the parameters' names, is generally more helpful to the wide-variety of people who might look at the wikitext, than removing them would be. Hope that helps.
VE not loading pages with a thumbnail in it
Whenever I try to enter VE edit mode in a page that got a thumbnail in it I get this error:
It'd be quite useful if you linked to an example of such a page (assuming you're talking about a WMF wiki), and provided details such as web browser, computer operating system, and wiki skin (usually Vector, sometimes Monobook).
The wiki is a private corporate one so I can't link it. However I tried to replicate the same problem on my own private wiki and it seemed to work with thumbnails there..
Windows 2008 R2
Problem in both IE10 and Chrome.
The page consists only of a thumbnailed image and VE won't load.
edit: Not only thumbnailed images will cause this issue. right and centered images causes it too, while "ordinary" images work.
Yes it is present on the local wiki
My first thought is that you have an incompatible version of VisualEditor and MediaWiki, which is only apparent when the code used about images is loaded…
Author(-s) in citation
In many cases we cannot tell the first from the last name of an author, especially in different localization.
In many cases we have more than one author and Author field is very handy for completion of all authors.
Last name and first name entries sometimes make contributor's life hard and push back to wikimarkup copy-paste solution for filling in citations of missing fields.
Flexibility should be provided.
- checkbox for the contrinutor to declare if he/she knows, for the author, which part of the name is first and which is last, and suggestion, if possible, or switching to author field to fill in
- select the number of authors to fetch the needed fields to fill in
Can you please specify which template you are talking about? Thanks.
All templates. Author field is not there for any of them (web, book, news and journal).
Which Wikipedia (or other wiki) are you talking about?
Greek Wikipedia and English Wikipedia do not have the "Author" parameter to fill it in, in VE citations. Instead there is only First name and Last name to fill in. Author parameter cannot be called from inside VE, or at least I cannot find it.
In case we cannot tell first from last name, author should be used instead of first and last.
In case of many authors (i.e. cite journal), selecting the number of authors should automatically go and fetch first2/last2, first3/last3, first4/last4 to fill them in and not go fetch them one by one by hand, or provide to fill in just the "Author" filed for all authors.
Most of the citation templates were re-written at en.wp a couple of years ago. One result is that
|author= (and several other things: last1, surname, surname1, author1) are the same thing. If the Greek Wikipedia has copied the Lua modules from en.wp, then it's the same thing there.
The request for automatically selecting first and last fields is T52407. I believe that it's stalled on design issues.
I could instruct my students to always use the last= fileld in case they cannot tell first from last name, and move to visual editor.
If pre-fetching hidden fields to be filled in, by selecting number of authors, to save extra mouse clicks, sounds like a good idea, please implement it. It is especially useful in cite journal.
- User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13B143 Safari/601.1