User talk:FreedomFighterSparrow

About this board

Mkmaja78 (talkcontribs)


I need help with your script imageMapHighlighter. I want to use this for gipedia (wiki for pathologist). The idea of script is great. Here is the example picture

I added your script to Mediawiki:common.js and Mediawiki:Imagemap-Highlight.js

<div class="imageMapHighlighter"><imagemap>
Image:GVHD 1.jpg|400px
circle 1076 533 74 [[lymphoid]]
desc top-right

Above is example of image ( same with link above). The problem is that I don't see highlighting. I have only list of links below picture. Thank you M

FreedomFighterSparrow (talkcontribs)
Tofiq Kərimli (talkcontribs)

Hello Please note this picture: w:ru:Шаблон:Интерактивная карта изображений I want this to be my site: . The picture may look like this on my site. But only I can see, others do not see it. In other words,

But only in this case I see. I want it to be like in Russian Wikipedia. What do you think I should do? Thanks in advance.

FreedomFighterSparrow (talkcontribs)

Hi Tofiq, I'm sorry I can't help you, but I have nothing to do with this gadget (or any other).

Tofiq Kərimli (talkcontribs)

You've already helped me. I've achieved what I want. Thank you.

Reply to "imageMapHighlighter"

Replace Text and $wgReservedUsernames

Yaron Koren (talkcontribs)

Hi, can you please explain this edit? I don't understand this.

FreedomFighterSparrow (talkcontribs)

Sure - maybe I wasn't clear enough. ReplaceText adds $wgReplaceTextUser to the array of $wgReservedUsernames; such users cannot login, change password, etc. So the user can only be used for ReplaceText from that point onward. In my personal example, I tried using the same bot user for $wgReplaceTextUser as well as Pywikibot; but the minute the user is in $wgReservedUsernames, it can no longer authenticate on the wiki.

Yaron Koren (talkcontribs)

Are you sure about that? I don't see $wgReservedUsernames anywhere in the Replace Text code.

FreedomFighterSparrow (talkcontribs)

ReplaceText uses hook UserGetReservedNames, which amounts to the same...

Yaron Koren (talkcontribs)

Ah, yes - now I see. That was added a few months ago by someone else, as part of a set of security improvements to Replace Text - I wasn't even really aware of that change. What do you think - is this change a problem? Or is the only issue the fact that it's not documented?

FreedomFighterSparrow (talkcontribs)
Reply to "Replace Text and $wgReservedUsernames"
Egel (talkcontribs)


Last edit, on this or any other Wikimedia site, of Bryan Tong Minh (Bryan), the original author is around 2 years ago. The template:update is more than a year on the extension's page. The extension's (talk) page and the bug list is in urgent need of TLC of someone with a good knowledge of the extension. Let call that person the new maintainer. That the extension is used on all Wikimedia sites makes it only more urgent.

FreedomFighterSparrow (talkcontribs)

Hi @Egel,

You are right about Bryan, but I think you should look at the git commit history and see that necessary fixes are still made by various WMF folk. I also agree that the extension needs a new maintainer, and I would have loved it if the WMF made sure to officialy assign a maintainer to each extension they use, but that's simply not the case. Assigning the "abandoned" status to the page will not change that.

To me, "abandoned" strongly suggests "do not use" to users, as in "if this breaks, you're on your own". However, the extension is stable and working, and I think we can rest assured it will continue to be compatible with future MW versions, as the WMF uses it - so I believe this is misleading. If you still disagree, I will not revert another edit.


Reply to "Extension:GlobalUsage"
MWJames (talkcontribs)


I saw your added a link to SphinxMultiSearch, maybe one advice would be to put your code into github so it easier for others to contribute or download instead of relying on

FreedomFighterSparrow (talkcontribs)

Well, you're right in principle - however, I never worked with git before (I'm using an internal subversion server), and I had a deadline for uploading the code. What I hope to do is to make a version compatible with the latest SphinxSearch, and then get the author to merge the code changes. I believe this will be a better solution for all.

MWJames (talkcontribs)

Personally, I think it will be some time before Svemir makes another round to enhance the SphinxSearch extension but what is for sure that 0.7 does not work beyond MW 1.16 and 0.8+ saw a mayor overhaul in how the extension works therefore making a move towards 0.8+ would certainly be a wise decision.

Since we are running MW 1.18 and 0.8+ I can't really test nor add any comments on the MultiSearch functionality.

As for git, have a look at [1].


FreedomFighterSparrow (talkcontribs)

Actually, a volunteer working for us already made a 0.8.x version of this, but he's out of reach at the moment, so I haven't even tested it. Hopefully it will happen soon. As for the <=1.16 compatibility, that seems odd to me - I'm running MW 1.17.2, and SphinxMultiSearch works just fine - and we haven't changed the code significantly. Anyway, I will upgrade to 1.18 soon and test.

Thanks for pointing out the git move; I'm aware of it, but I have my own priorities, and unfortunately they don't include a VCS change at this point :-)

FreedomFighterSparrow (talkcontribs)
Reply to "SphinxMultiSearch"
There are no older topics