Hi, I'm a developer active in Russian Wikipedia. We've reworked ReferenceTooltips significantly in our wiki, and I would like to suggest other wikis to update to our version. (Maybe a global gadget would be a better solution, I would welcome such an initiative if the community agrees.) It was developed by me; Facenapalm, Serhio Magpie, IKhitron, Iniquity, Saint Johann helped in testing.
Here it is: w:en:User:Jack who built the house/Gadget-referenceTooltips.js (English translation) / w:ru:MediaWiki:Gadget-referenceTooltips.css.
- Tooltip style & animations are updated to be consistent with Page Previews' style & animations.
- The following bugs & flaws are fixed, among others (gif/png):
- a bug that sometimes appears when hovering a reference link a second time,
- a sporadic bug that appears when clicking inside a tooltip in Chrome,
- a bug that appears when resizing the window,
- a similar bug that appears when the tooltip is activated by clicking,
- a bug that involves fast multiple clicks on a reference link,
- the noncentral position of a tooltip tail above/below a reference link,
- a bug where you sometimes can't remove a tooltip called from inside another tooltip.
- Hopefully I did not introduce any new bugs.
- Harvard-style citations are now supported (the script looks for "#CITEREF" links; CSS selectors are adjustable via a variable).
- Tooltips inside tooltips are now working properly (they did work before, but there were bugs associated with this behaviour). See the animation.
- An option is added that allows to convert native browser tooltips for titled <abbr> tags and such into gadget tooltips. It is default on touch devices, allowing users of the desktop version on such devices to see them.
- The settings dialog is rewritten using OOUI (its modules are loaded on demand) and looks similar to the Page Previews settings dialog.
- Saving settings doesn't require page reload anymore.
- The coding conventions are applied.