The FAQ says that you can put your cursor in a place, go to a reference, and click "add" where is this add button, because just clicking on it doesn't work.
Topic on Talk:Content translation
Cannot Add References to Target Language
Mark the word You want to have linked, then select the link target as offered or choose to link to another page.
That's linking, not using references (like )
The Wikipedia I write for (Simple English) prevents page creation from machine translation, and as such references are not copied to the target language.
Until support is added for dynamically copying references, I suggest the following workaround:
- Using the options gear next to "publish," set the destination to a personal draft.
- Translate your article with placeholders for your reference (such as "")
- Publish the draft and edit the article again.
- In a new tab, pull up the source article and view the wikitext.
- Copy the >ref< tags and paste them over your placeholders in the target language.
- Publish your draft