A new design is planned. What are your thoughts on this new design? What could be done to improve it?
Topic on Talk:Beta Features/Nearby Pages
What can we do to make the next version even more awesome?
I have made 50,000 edits on enwiki. And here I am, not seeing how to start a new thread to respond.
DePiep: What do you mean? You just responded to the topic, as far as I can tell.
If you have issues with Flow, feel free to leave comments on Talk:Flow so the developers can see them.
Nicereddy: I made a reply, not a new topic. I completely missed the "Start a new topic" box: very light grey. This subthread is OT and so better be stopped.
User:DePiep: Thanks for the pointer to the very light grey "Start a new topic" box! That is really terrible UI design, unless someone _wanted_ to make this function practically invisible... Same for the very light grey "Comment on". Seriously..??
Jdlrobson: I'd recommend the following:
- Upload the mockups to Wikimedia Commons as well ;)
- Make "Exit fullscreen" in D(d) a MediaWiki.ui button (or use the Multimedia Viewer's "X"?)
- Remove underline from "Show/Hide Map" and use up/down carats as iconography to represent what pressing them will do. To make up for the lack of underline, you could make the text blue or bold? I just hate underlines unless you're mouse is right above the button itself.
- Try moving "# Topics near New York" above the map instead of between the map and article list?
- Remove divider lines from above and below "# Topics near New York", you can probably just use the background color's contrast to signify different sections of the pop-out.
- The sidebar design concept, while interesting, conflicts with user expectations and isn't used anywhere else on Wikipedia. It could work, but I think it'd be too disruptive for navigating the article.
- Make sure the "Drop pin" icon (See: this mockup) matches the Nearby Places icon with the transparent circle inside the pin. Although, maybe that was purposeful to avoid confusion between the two.
- Overall, I'd prefer if there were less gray, or if the current gray were replaced with one that was brighter. At present it looks pretty ugly and contrasts with the white too much.
Tell me if you need any clarifications, the mockups are definitely an improvement over the Beta Feature's design!