Jump to navigation Jump to search
Page content language
- "getPageLanguage() can be a starting point, but its actual functionality is very limited." Nowadays the page content language specifies quite a lot (directionality, magic words, ...), so this function is fundamental though its value is not (yet) stored in the database and there is no interface (yet) for changing it on-wiki (bug 9360/28970).
- "The Page Translation feature in the Translate extension applies language metadata to the pages it creates and this functionality could be moved to the core." Could you perhaps clarify this, what metadata are you referring to?
Punctuation signs translation
- A standard french keyboard layout (Windows) has only the " for quotes while the french language uses « and ». The editor should be able to translate " to either « or » depending on the context.
- Single quote in french has the same kind of issue
Each language has its own punctuation rules. For example, french require a non-breaking space before : ; ! ? » (among others). The editor should be able to help to enforce this on new input.
- Again, this is a browser-level responsibility for native actions. I assume from your comment that your browser does not implement this correctly? Does any browser? Jdforrester (WMF) (talk) 22:40, 19 November 2012 (UTC)