ResourceLoader/Migration guide (users)/Tutorial
- a 15 minute peek at the future: the RL2 prototype (features discussed in the slide deck),
- a live demonstration of adapting a gadget for RL
- a 30 minute hands-on workshop,
- a Question and Answer session.
Want to see a specific gadget adapted, during the Demo/workshop? You can submit your suggestions via the "Assistance Requested" list, below.
To learn about Gadgets and ResourceLoader in general:
Why adapt a Gadget for use with ResourceLoader?
ResourceLoader can help gadget developers today!
- As of Gadgets 2.0 (which is currently still in development) gadgets are required to use ResourceLoader. The raw loading mechanism will no longer be supported.
- See ResourceLoader for points on what ResourceLoader is and why it is going to make your gadgets more awesome. That article has recently been updated wich lots of useful information
- The current version of the Gadgets extension already supports using ResourceLoader (instead of the legacy loader). So this can be done *today* and will make your gadget faster and easier to manage right away.
- Gadgets 2.0 (coming soon) will bring even more of ResourceLoader's features to Gadgets (see RL2)
Hands-on migration workshop (30 min. demo)
Below is a list Gadgets that we can discuss and walk through during the tutorial. We're looking for the following:
- Gadgets that switched to using ResourceLoader and just worked.
- Gadgets that didn't migrate transparently, but were successfully migrated after taking care of the issues.
All recommended best practices, tips and tricks, bugs and their solutions are collected on ResourceLoader/Migration guide (users).
- Gadgets you couldn't get to work with ResourceLoader and need help with.
Gadgets to use in the tutorial
- See also Berlin Hackathon 2012
- Transparent switch
- Smooth migration
- Assistance requested
Gadgets 2.0: What to expect for 2012 and beyond
This will be a 15 min demo of the RL2 prototype cluster featuring Gadgets 2.0. And discussion of the implementation timeline. Collect feedback about how the community is responding/beginning to support the migration... or if/how they would like to the plan changed.
Screenshots and demo
How we plan for this to work.
- use cases
- how it will affect people
Feedback and discussion
- Collect participants' ideas about the documentation overhaul
- Reminder to document your Gadgets