Meet the community.
"If you're lost, I'll help you find help and a neat project."
"You have a right to a proper user interface in your native tongue."
Want to share your story here? Talk to us!
Category in commons
Links to info to get you started.
Join the Wikimedia development community in Berlin.
Wikimedia community developers and sysadmins were invited to Berlin Hackathon 2012 to collaborate and share ideas. Videos of the Lua tutorial, secure coding tutorial, Wikidata intro, and step-by-step Git-Gerrit installation are now online, and the Gadgets/ResourceLoader video is on |Vimeo. Check out the survey results and retrospective!
- MediaWiki & extensions developers
- MediaWiki systems administrators
- Toolserver users
- Gadgets makers
- Bots maintainers
- Template writers
- Users of Wikimedia bigdata
You'll work on whatever project excites you. And you'll have opportunities to learn about and hack on:
- ResourceLoader 2 and the Gadgets rewrite
- Lua scripting (for templates)
- Wikimedia Germany's Wikidata initiative and other structured data projects
Goals and topics for the Hackathon.
This is the premier event for the MediaWiki and Wikimedia technical community. We'll be hacking, designing, and socialising.
Our goals for the event are to bring 100-150 people together, with lots of people who have not attended such events before. User scripts, gadgets, API use, Toolserver, Wikimedia Labs, mobile, structured data, templates -- if you are into any of these things, we want you to come!
- More outreach to variety of people - aim for 120-130 participants (judging that ~100 came last year)
- Get Lua training for anyone who wants it
- Inform people about ResourceLoader 2 & new Gadgets support, train JS authors
- Get Labs or Toolserver accounts for anyone who wants them
- Get at least 5 gadgets/tools/templates/bots developers/authors to get into larger Wikimedia community, stay in it 3 months after event
- Facilitate chapter tech community
- Keep last year's quality of experience while upping attendance
- Better social events that help build relationships, facilitate mingling.
Wikimedia organizes hackathons all year, around the world. Previous hackathon events were held in Pune, India Feb 10-12, 2012,San Francisco, USA Jan 20-22, 2012, Mumbai, India Nov 19&20, 2011, Brighton, UK Nov 18-20, 2011, NOLA, USA Oct 14-16, 2011, Berlin, Germany May 13-15, 2011, Amsterdam, Netherlands Jan 14, 2011, Washington DC, USA Oct 22–24, 2010.
Berlin attendees will include:
- Jeroen De Dauw - structured data (WikiData & SMW)
- Wikinaut - discussing extensions OpenID, RSS, WikiArticleFeeds, EtherpadLite, AJAXPoll, open e-mail notification issues and more
- SVG - discussing about wiki farms (perhaps)
- Judytuna - coming from WPSFHack!
- Bináris (pywikipediabot developer) — listening. Bináristalk 09:57, 14 February 2012 (UTC)
- Smihael (most likely; interface tweaks for easier editing of Wikisource)
- Adam Wight Read/Write Offline
- Kolossos (Maps/OpenStreetMap)
- DanielRenfro (going to try to make it...pretty busy in June)
- Saper I'd like to refactor schema handling for various databases
- Max Semenik (talk) WikiData, WMF stuff
- Siebrand — General i18n and L10n related meddling.
- Sridhar Gutam
- Petr Bena
- Daniel Mietchen (WiR/OS), Open Access Media Importer
- TParis - Unblock Ticket Request System, and a botclasses.php based bot on English Wikipedia
- Dereckson - WikiData, Wikipedia articles translation helper tool
- Roan Kattouw
- Toni Hermoso
- Ankur anand
- Patricio Molina
- xqt pywikibot developer
- Husky (talk) 21:19, 22 April 2012 (UTC) - GLAM hacker.
- RajeshPandey (talk) 04:52, 23 April 2012 (UTC)
- Eran (talk) 10:50, 26 April 2012 (UTC)
- Dario Taraborelli
- SPQRobin (talk) 22:32, 16 May 2012 (UTC)
- Waldir (talk) 17:01, 18 May 2012 (UTC)
- -- DQ (ʞlɐʇ) 04:01, 19 May 2012 (UTC)
- Anomie (talk)
- --Junaidpv (talk) 05:14, 23 May 2012 (UTC)
- LA2 (talk) - learning about Wikidata; perhaps discussing external link statistics (like this)
- Mfenner - build automated trackback links from Public Library of Science (PLoS) journal articles.
- Robert Vogel - Wants to learn about ResourceLoader, Git and Lua. Wants to share and discuss ideas about custom MW distros and MW extensibility in general.
- Chitetskoy (talk) 18:25, 29 May 2012 (UTC)
- Erik Zachte (talk) 07:46, 30 May 2012 (UTC)
- Kelson - Kiwix, openZIM, offline.
- Gabriel Wicke - Parsoid
» June 1:
Introductions and Hacking
» June 2:
Hacking and Tutorials
» June 3:
Hacking and Presentations