Requests for comment/Custom inter-namespace tabs
|Custom inter-namespace tabs|
This is a request for comment about adding custom inter-namespace tabs (bugzilla:13228).
Certain wikis currently have an additional namespace tied to the classic (and traditional) article–talk combination. For example, on the English Wikinews, there's a third tab for "Opinions" which leads to a corresponding page in the Comments namespace.
The current implementation has issues, namely:
- it's doing an extra AJAX request for tab color; and
- it's a pain in the ass to localize and customize per project.
- "Opinions" tab for the Comments namespace on the English Wikinews
- "Citations" tab for the Citations: namespace alongside the ns:0 and Talk namespaces on English Wiktionary
- Put code in a MediaWiki extension or in core???
- Localizable tab name
- Configurable in LocalSettings.php with an array or something?
- Tab has to account for page existence
The considerations above need to be resolved. Once they have been, this should no more than an hour's worth of coding time, I think. It'll be much more time trying to get the code reviewed and deployed than it will be the write the damn feature.
There's code at User:Svippong/AdditionalTabs and at <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=mediawiki/extensions/CommentPages.git;a=summary>, also #37569. Given changes to MediaWiki, however, it may make sense to start from scratch. Again, it depends how this is going to be implemented (extension or in core).
Code base: n:MediaWiki:Comments.js.
- no need to mess with server-side
- excessive API requests
- inconsistent localization
Status: Deployed at production
- configuration in MediaWiki namespace
- hackish implementation & redundant core feature
Status: Abandoned in Gerrit
See documentation: Extension:NamespaceRelations.
- multiple custom tabs per Subject
- allows to decide whether to show tab on Main Page (if attached to Main namespace)
- additional query params attached for red-link tabs
- tab sorting (e.g. Opinions|Article|Talk)
- allows to hide Talk tab
Status: Waiting for code review