Reading/Multimedia/Standup notes/2016/Old

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Contents

2016-09-29[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Got pinged at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T143192 - prtksxna and/or James_F should comment or maybe file some subtasks for the image gallery
    • On my list --prtksxna
  • Not much productivity otherwise. Waiting for review on FA on a couple of fronts.

Prateek[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Working on adding "previous" buttons throughout UW upload flow

2016-09-28[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Added "remove" button in UW details step
  • Working on adding "previous" buttons throughout UW upload flow

Mark[edit]

  • Sort of waiting on FileAnnotations review...
  • Will get through some CR today probably

2016-09-27[edit]

Prateek (might not attend)[edit]

  • Tracking down and documenting API errors

(nobody attended)

2016-09-26[edit]

Bartosz[edit]

  • Broken thumbs in UW in FF (fixed)
    • When I first read this and thought you broke your thumbs because of UW and FF :O :( --prtksxna
  • CR today

Matthias[edit]

  • Changed "Cancel" to "Back" in wikieditor upload dialog
  • Looking into reverse image search

Mark[edit]

  • Travel again
  • Run through FA patches, make sure they're okay
  • CR maybe
  • Edit interface perhaps

Prateek (might not be attending)[edit]

2016-09-22[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Discussing whether we are missing good uploads too in trying to get rid of bad onesss

Bartosz[edit]

  • CR
  • Cross wiki upload numbers after abusefilter changes

Matthias[edit]

  • Nan issues with upload tool

Prateek[edit]

  • I did things
  • Can't think of an update


2016-09-21

Prateek (maybe attending)[edit]

  • Chasing FF bugs in OOui
  • Mark do you want to talk later in the day?

Matthias[edit]

  • Display warnings in UW "do you want to continue..." confirmation window
  • Disable default 30s timeout for uploads

2016-09-20

Mark[edit]

  • Wildly productive time in the office
  • FA cleanup and refactor going well
  • Will get deploy talks going with releng

2016-09-19

Mark[edit]

  • Travel
  • Harassing James
  • FA clean up

James[edit]

  • On leave next week

Bartosz[edit]

  • ...

Prateek[edit]

  • Booked offsite travel (was complicated)
  • Rebasing

Matthias[edit]

  • Wrapped up check for existing filnenames in cross-wiki uploader

2016-09-15

Matthias[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Sick yesterday as noted :(
  • FA clean-up and editing interface today

Bartosz[edit]

  • CR today!!!

2016-09-14

Matthias[edit]

  • Duplicate file names in cross-wiki upload
  • FA

Mark[edit]

  • In death throes from allergies
    • May take the day off to recover
  • FA fixes yesterday, got through a good amount of tickets, organized what we need pre-beta launch

Prateek[edit]

  • CategorySelector in MW core
  • FA design stuff

2016-09-13

James[edit]

  • Phabricator task
  • Prep for tomorrow to brief leadership on what everyone is doing
  • Won't attend tomorrow or the next day :(

Matthias[edit]

Bartosz[edit]

  • FA review yesterday

Mark[edit]

  • Mostly CR yesterday...
  • New FA mockups so probably going to work on that today

Prateek[edit]

  • Added FA mockups
  • Doing some OOUI stuff

2016-09-12 15:00 UTC

Matthias[edit]

  • Fixed date/license validation for multi-file uploads (with individual license selection)
  • Fixed UW tests, which failed after recent ParserTests refactor

Mark[edit]

  • Long weekend? What are weekends?
  • Collaborating with Aaron for caching and performance for FA

Bartosz[edit]

  • I have some patches pending for some newly reported issues that could use review
  • Going to be reviewing FileAnnotations today

Prateek[edit]

  • Catching up on review and email
  • I AM BACK (like, really)
  • Maybe we should discuss meeting times?

2016-09-08 15:00 UTC

  • Without objection, the evening standups from Monday forward will be cancelled, because nobody attends them.

Mark[edit]

  • FA work got interrupted, will return to work on the HTTP use in the code today.

Matthias[edit]

  • Validating custom licenses in UW, mostly done

2016-09-07 15:00 UTC

Mark[edit]

  • FA work again, caching patch got Aaron's attention, performance reviews underway basically

James[edit]

Bartosz[edit]

  • CR mostly!
  • Mic issues (notes forthcoming)

2016-09-06 15:00 UTC

Mark[edit]

  • Long weekend was long
  • FA today...maybe work on caching so we aren't running the parser twenty times every time we get file annotations
  • Wonder where brion is on audio-video annotations, maybe should ping him
  • Should also schedule reviews pre-launch, security and performance (maybe after caching work is done) (James?)

Matthias[edit]

  • Worked on existing patches:
 * fixed problematic recursion in pipe-replacement patch
 * don't apply tinyrgb profile for low-quality images
 * added i18n messages got new existing-version upload warnings
  • Submitted patch to warn when image date doesn't match license
  • Working on validating custom licenses in UW

Bartosz[edit]

  • Not much today yet
  • AbuseFilter error parsing patch deployed, cleared up
  • Looking for things to do

2016-09-01 15:00 UTC

  • Happy September!

Mark[edit]

  • FA design looking a little less derpy now. Could use CR on it.
  • Will try to get it to work with MV today. Probably will involve changing some things around.
  • Prateek: How's design going?

Matthias[edit]

  • Working on UW upload time validation

James[edit]

  • Will talk to CLs about MV support for FA
  • Goals things, lots of work to do on that

2016-08-31 15:00 UTC

Mark[edit]

  • CSS work on FA today, because I've put it off for too long. Send help.
  • Goals meeting in a little bit - are we happy with File Triage research? (answer approximately yes)
  • May float killing the evening standup next week.

Matthias[edit]

  • Responded to code review on 307115 & 307511
  • Working on UW upload time validation

2016-08-30 23:00 UTC

Mark[edit]

  • FA for Wikidata items exists! Whether it's good enough, who knows? Design changes coming but I hate CSS.
  • Editing/creation interface(s) for FA coming as soon as we see some kind of design thing for them
  • Goals goals goals: James and Prateek and Mark seem to like File Triage as an option. Concur?
  • Nobody else came :(

2016-08-30 15:00 UTC

Mark[edit]

  • Slept
  • Prateek is back! I will be bothering him today.
  • Travel email nag

James[edit]

  • EVERYTHING
  • Tomorrow needs a firm draft of a goal.

Matthias[edit]

  • Emded TinyRGB profile for images missing a profile
  • Fixup pipe-replacement patch
  • More UW input validation tomorrow

Prateek[edit]

  • Catching up on email
  • Working on mockups for adding annotation
  • Want us to work on FileTriage for the next quarter, its a lot of research, so we could do just
 that. Its important to get it right, as its an existing workflow. Mark and Bartosz can be free
 to get FA and IT working :)

2016-08-29 23:00 UTC

Mark[edit]

  • Dipped toe into some CR and Phabricator. Would appreciate any direction that is available.
  • Currently feeling blocked or at least not sure where to go on FA. Editing interface is next.
  • Laptop issues not exactly resolved, but at least not actively causing disruption in work anymore.
  • Offsite travel email has been sent out, please check and respond in a timely manner! Thanks :)
  • Nobody else came :(

2016-08-29 15:00 UTC

Mark[edit]

  • Stopped being sick. Yay!
  • Check email for offsite travel things.
  • Will likely browse through some Phab tickets and CR today, to catch up.

Bartosz[edit]

  • SWAT deploy
  • CR today

Matthias[edit]

  • Too much time cleaning up pipe characters in UW - but now in CR!
  • Addressed feedback on new warnings
  • Input validation issues continuing

2016-08-24 15:00 UTC

Mark[edit]

  • Laptop stuff to deal with today, but a bit sick, will attempt to rest a bit this morning.

Matthias[edit]

  • Patch for more detailed error messages for duplicate uploads
  • Input validation for | characters
  • E-mail about MM goals next quarter - what kinds of upload issues the community struggling with most?

Bartosz[edit]

  • UW work today, hopefully almost done
  • CR to do

2016-08-23 23:00 UTC

Lindsey Anne + kitty[edit]

  • Prateek status update
  • On vacation next week
  • Editing Design Team being formed; includes Prateek, but no change to Prateeks job
  • Editing Offsite coming, no action required yet by team

James[edit]

  • Is miserable because of meetings
  • OOjs UI styling changes

Mark + kitty[edit]

  • Got the laptop back
  • Had a meeting with Interactive folks (Yuri) about maps, graphs, file annotations and stuff

Bartosz[edit]

2016-08-23 15:00 UTC

Mark[edit]

  • CR check this morning, hopefully will catch everything, let me know if you have something specific
  • Back to FA, will probably try to get Prateek's thoughts about Wikidata rendering and editing
  • Nobody else attended

Bartosz [late][edit]

2016-08-22 23:00 UTC

Bartosz [not attending][edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Got about halfway through rendering Wikidata annotations and realized I'd need to make separate requests to Commons and (maybe) WP to get the content shown in the design...not currently sure how to deal but will do so tomorrow
  • Should probably get 'round to CR tomorrow before launching back into FA to avoid bottlenecking
  • See below for notes from Matthias and James re: copyvio detection
  • Nobody else attended

2016-08-22 15:00 UTC

Mark[edit]

  • FA work went well on Friday, WP and Commons Category rendering both done. WD today, hopefully I can accomplish that
  • Editing design stalled, so the next step is blocked (maybe?) on Prateek, unless I decide to do my own thing which seems unadvisable

James[edit]

  • Partnerships to discuss copyvios stuff
  • Working from the office because it's funny
  • Save -> Publish change tomorrow on beta cluster, next week Tuesday in prod

Matthias[edit]

  • Copyright violations on Commons with Google image search task - what do?
  • Upload API warnings for duplicates of old versions of files

2016-08-18 15:00 UTC

Mark[edit]

  • FileAnnotations work today...
    • Will look at RfC for MCSR to make sure it looks okay for our release

Prateek[edit]

  • Still working on FA design
  • Hoping to finish this week and take a few days off next week
  • Still no house, well technically we do, but there is no water or electricity :(

James[edit]

  • NOTHING HAS CHANGED
  • Yay phabricator

Abusing standup EPL for notes:

  • Could do two separate things mobile/desktop (on file page)
    • Flash for mobile, because they have no hover
      • Listen for focus/unfocus events on the tab/window so we don't flash at nothing
      • Refer to Volker's research to figure out how long the flash needs to be
    • First hover event on image hides annotations for desktop
  • In articles, scroll events that bring you past images could trigger a flash
  • Explore using categories/WD items to look for "people" or what have you, so we can encourage tagging (later feature?)
  • Viewing...
    • Commons category -> five random (or non-random, explore options) images, link to category
    • Wikipedia article -> HoverCards-like summary
    • Wikidata item -> description, links to other projects with context ("learn" via WP, "define" via Wikt, "see more" via Commons, etc.)
    • Map location -> map? (optional)

2016.08.17 Evening

Bartosz[edit]

Absum.

James[edit]

Nothing much today. Helped the SWAT go out this morning.

Lindsey Anne[edit]

Absum.

Mark[edit]

Absum.

Matthias[edit]

Absum.

Prateek[edit]

Absum.

2016-08-17 For the Birds

Bartosz[edit]

  • UW bugs, everything is horrible
  • Five patches for different bugs, to be uploaded

Matthias[edit]

  • Flow is done, yay
  • SpamBlacklist errors in file api output now
  • Recoverable in UW, same as AF errors

Mark[edit]

  • See below for yesterday
  • Working on more CR today, since Bartosz and Matthias both have work they did
  • FileAnnotations crunch time coming up, will try to get it to a good place and fire off a security review request within a week or two.
  • Goals discussion coming up Soon, will have more details within the week hopefully

2016-08-16 For The Fish

Mark[edit]

  • CR earlier, mostly admin stuff otherwise
  • September office visit finalized
  • It is very rainy here

Bartosz[edit]

  • Did some catching up on emails and Commons discussion pages
  • More work on upload backend… T143161

2016-08-15 For the Birds

Mark[edit]

  • Laptop fun continues today
  • Inbox migration! Fun.
  • We're about halfway through the quarter, so be aware of that.
  • Standup reschedule??? (yes)

Prateek[edit]

  • Catching up on email and some design stuff
  • Not much of an update

Matthias[edit]

  • Flow work finished last week for the most part
  • Vagrant issues, will reinstall

2016-08-15 For the Fish (backfill)

James[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Laptop issues mostly handled
  • Will investigate bug
  • Slowly rebuilding computing life

2016-08-15 For the Birds

Mark[edit]

  • Back from spontaneous vacation!
  • Tired
  • Dealing with laptop issues - backup, reinstall, etc. - will be limited in utility today
  • Thinking about potentially working on test image generator to provide greater diversity in images (bigger, smaller, different file types, metadata...video/audio?)
  • Nobody else came :(

2016-08-10 For the Birds

Prateek[edit]

2016-08-09 For the Birds

Matthias[edit]

  • Working on last Flow thing (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T119509#2304693), will probably keep me occupied most of this week
  • On vacation Friday (12/08) & Belgian holiday Monday (15/08)
  • Back on Multimedia next week (16/08)
  • Let me know of anything urgent :)

2016-08-08 For the Birds

Prateek[edit]

  • Still doing and responding to OOUI CR
  • Merged a bunch of Voker's patches

2016-08-04 For The Birds

Mark[edit]

  • See below

Prateek[edit]

  • CR and emails
  • Will switch back to FA design now that I see that its blocking Mark
 (Mark says its not really  a blocker, so not looking into this immediately

2016-08-03 For The Fish

Mark[edit]

  • Do much code review
  • Looking into a different way to track/sort upload objects in UW
  • FA? I think I will wait for Prateek to finish his design document

Bartosz[edit]

  • Patches merged, always cool
  • UW on mobile!!!!11!one
  • AF work going well, need Aaron to review

2016-08-03 For The Birds

Mark[edit]

  • Planning to work on MatmaRex code review today
  • Also looking at the UW backlog, but I hear there's not much there
  • Nobody else came

2016-08-02 For The Fish Literally nothing interesting

2016-08-02 For the Birds

Mark[edit]

  • FA / MMV work progressing
  • Need to respond to Bartosz

James[edit]

  • Commons WB demo is up (very early)
  • Editing offsite (LV?????)

Bartosz[edit]

Prateek[edit]

  • CR and email backlog

2016-08-01 For the Birds

Mark[edit]

  • Back to MMV support for FA today, should be ready midday or so, have to do some z-index warring
  • Looking down the page I'll probably do some review of prtksxna's ideas for FA too

Bartosz[edit]

Prateek[edit]

  • Need feedback on FA ideas
  • Should move to low/high fidelity mocks?

2016-07-28 For The Birds

Mark[edit]

  • See below

2016-07-27 For the Fish

Mark[edit]

  • Not much today :(
  • MMV integration tomorrow...

Bartosz[edit]

  • Not much either
  • Reviewing FA patches soon

2016-07-27 For the Birds

Mark[edit]

  • See below...maybe working on FA cloning image into overlay div? Maybe MMV integration. (prtk says yes below)

Prateek[edit]

  • FA design
  https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FileAnnotations/Design
  • Mark, can we have motion tracking for objects when annotating videos pl0x, kthnx.

2016-07-26 For The Fish

Mark[edit]

  • FA patch for links on images!
  • Still with the CR needs.
  • FA in MMV?????? (prtk: yes please)

James[edit]

  • SWATting - de-deploy ImageMetrics

LA[edit]

  • eating caramel corn
  • LV things????

2016-07-26 For The Birds

Mark[edit]

  • (had Internet issues, so couldn't really take notes)

Bartosz[edit]

  • (again, Mark had Internet problems)

2016-07-25 For The Fish

Mark[edit]

  • Quick(ish) patch to add FA rendering to non-file pages with images inside
  • Need code review for FA patches (MatmaRex or prtksxna)
  • Did CR for MatmaRex below

Prateek[edit]

  • FA research continues

Bartosz[edit]

James[edit]

Lindsey Anne[edit]

  • Working on retrospective things

2016-07-25 For the Birds

Bartosz[edit]

Prateek[edit]

  • Research for FA design
  • Personas and stuff

2016-07-21 For The Fish

Mark[edit]

  • Refactored FA today, looking much better, will work on extensibility and/or extending tomorrow
  • Further discussion about longer term goals(?)

LA[edit]

  • Offsite travel stuff
  • Will be ornery
  • Will not be able to be shut up

James[edit]

  • Very little

2016-07-21 For the Birds

Mark[edit]

  • See below for James's report on meeting yesterday, Mark will expound a bit
  • FA work to resume today after interrupts, focusing on making codebase cleaner and more extensible

Prateek[edit]

  • Still revivng old patches
  • OOUI stuff
  • FA design?

2016-07-20 For the Fish

James[edit]

  • Chatted with Mark, LA and Trevor and came up with some big-ticket items on which it'd be nice to make progress.
  • Added new column to workboard for these.
  • Sent wikitech-l e-mail about de-deploying ImageMetrics per Bartosz.

LA[edit]

  • Chat about venue for Editing off-site.

2016-07-20 For The Birds

Mark[edit]

  • CR, more today
  • Fixing PHP code style for FA
  • ME3T!NGS

Matthias[edit]

  • Parser tests
  • Upload API, videos to commons having spam issues

Prateek[edit]

  • Not sure what I did today, but it felt productive
  • Some safeguard related things


2016-07-19 For The Fish

Mark[edit]

  • Some code review on UW things, TMH things, etc., fixing important bugs

James Fbreaking Stuff Forrester[edit]

  • Quiet
  • Move updates?

LA[edit]

  • Something about fruit

Bartosz[edit]

  • UW exceptions, especially video bug which was fun to reproduce

2016-07-19 For the Birds

Mark[edit]

  • See below

Prateek[edit]

  • Reviving abandoned OOUI patches that were failing tests (TextInputWidget refactor)
  • What are we doing about the slideshow gallery?

Bartosz[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • File backend store auth checks
  • Phabricator tickets

James[edit]

2016-07-18 For The Fish

Mark[edit]

  • Some FA work on jslint issues, PHP issues remain
  • UW merges as requested
  • Team strategy session upcoming, hopefully more clarity in direction
  • Nobody else came!

2016-07-18 For the Birds

Bartosz[edit]

  • UW work
  • Got rid of jqui!!!!111
  • Need review

Mark[edit]

  • Did some cleanup on FA last week, have to respond to CR today I think
  • Looking to review a bunch of UploadWizard patches too.

Matthias[edit]

  • Gave up on what he worked on last week
  • Vagrant still meh
  • UW working, so will look at tasks there
  • Upload issues ~1.5 years old, will investigate trend

2016-07-14 For the Fish

Mark[edit]

  • Editing/creation interfaces for file annotations now complete (demo?)
  • Wondering where to go next, just clean up and release?

Bartosz[edit]

  • AF work seems to be done

2016-07-14 For the Birds

Mark[edit]

  • See last night's notes

Bartosz[edit]

  • Code review backlog

Matthias (won't show up)[edit]

  • Improved error handling for DMS location input in UW
  • Trying to work on T117498 (duplicate x-wiki filenames), whilst (still) on a broken MW-Vagrant. I'm reinstalling...

Prateek(might not show up, showed up)[edit]

  • Doing stuff from my email back log (old bugs and patches)

James[edit]

  • Backlog stuff also

2016-07-13 For The Fish

Mark[edit]

  • Creating annotations now possible, system working well, editing on the way
  • Structure: JSON or custom database thing? (additional time vs. potentially confusing diffs?)
    • Or maybe the diffs aren't confusing at all if I do the content model correctly?
    • Alternative: Special edit API modules geared specifically towards adding/removing/editing annotations, possibly with addition of UUIDs for each one?
  • Nobody else came :'(

2016-07-13 For The Birds

Mark[edit]

  • Got sidetracked by analytics yesterday, back on track with FileAnnotations today if it's the last thing I do

James[edit]

  • Shouting on Phabricator
  • Lining up work
  • "Next up" column is populated, but maybe not arranged well, will work on that

Matthias[edit]

  • Vagrant is a bitch
  • UW degrees/min/sec patch
  • Same filename errors in file upload tool once Vagrant is running

2016-07-12 For the Fish

James[edit]

  • Analytics broke (was for 5 months), pointed out to Mark, now fixed
  • Clean up on Phab
  • MCRS RfC work (will be discussed in next couple of weeks)

Bartosz[edit]

  • Responding to email, phab, new comments on commons
  • Merged changes to AbuseFilter for uploads

Lindsey Anne[edit]

  • Clean up, travel budget
  • Booking stuff for Multimedia retrospective
    • wont happen this week
    • most probably async
  • Vacation on Thu, Fri, and Mon

Prateek[edit]

  • Update from the birds


2016-07-12 For the Birds

Mark[edit]

  • Working on FileAnnotations again today, hopefully can get the editing interface settled
  • Skipping evening standup today, can someone else attend?
    • Prateek volunteered

Matthias[edit]

  • Issue is cross-wikiupload tool, file name ??
  • Need help prioritizing tasks and features

James[edit]

  • Phabricator??
    • Query????
  • subway sounds
  • beep beep bloop bloop

Prateek[edit]

  • Settled in new airbnb (internet connection not as good as the old one, got a 4g dongle)
  • Code review for OOjs UI
  • Trying to get into some of the PHP code, suggestions on repos other than core are welcome
  • UrlShortener, minor work


2016-07-11 For The Fish

Mark[edit]

  • As predicted, code review
  • QR went pretty well
  • No work on FileAnnotations today, hopefully will continue tomorrow

James[edit]

  • Security bug against core file management (revdel)
  • 3D extension security review
  • UW for uploading over existing files?


2016-07-11 For The Birds

Mark[edit]

  • Probably a lot of code review today
  • Quarterly review session later this morning (do you want to attend?)

Matthias[edit]

  • Friday, trying to get Vagrant working
  • Schedule database backups for ptwikibooks


2016-07-08 For The Fish

Mark[edit]

  • Not much work done on FileAnnotations today, interrupts happened
  • Gallery merged! Yay! Thanks Prateek and James.
  • Work on editing annotations tomorrow
  • Also work on merging UW resume stashed uploads patch, hopefully.
  • No standup tomorrow!

Bartosz[edit]

  • UW patches - small ones
  • Review needed for abusefilter work!!!
    • API people reviewing API stuff (Brad)
    • Upload people reviewing upload stuff (Aaron)
    • Need a quick look then a merge

Prateek[edit]

  • Not much of an update
  • Random patches on random repositories
  • Moving again tomorrow
  • Need help? Ping.
  • OOJS-UI code review

Lindsey Anne[edit]

  • Administrivia
  • Looking for Roan/Trevor
  • FILE EXPENSES!!!!!!!!!111
  • Retrospective - should be relatively informal - probably next week or the week after - async?
  • Prateek outed by LA - working odd hours because of housing things
  • Vacation Thursday/Friday next week
  • Dudes who don't wear deodorant.


2016-07-08 For The Birds

James[edit]

  • Welcome back
  • Finished our quarter last week, so now onto new quarter, goals changed...what are they?
  • Quarterly review Monday morning
  • Oops, we missed our gallery goal. Merge that really fast?

Matthias[edit]

  • Work on LQT still!
  • Looking at Phab board for MM
  • Deg/Min/Sec coordinates in UW

Mark[edit]

  • FileAnnotations API working, polished
  • UI rendering annotations now
  • Next up: Editing
  • And, I guess, reviewing gallery patch (oops)
  • Let me know how this meeting structure works for you.


2016-07-06 For The Fish Skipped!


2016-07-06 For The Birds

marktraceur[edit]

  • Created secondary standup
  • Working on FileAnnotations, currently have API, working on interface today
  • Reviewing MatmaRex stuff for UW fatal fixes
  • Scrum of Scrums today, anyone have anything for that?

prtksxna[edit]

  • Gallery slider patch done, need review
  • Crop tool for image editor needs review
  • Doing patches on core and oojs-ui
  • Free to help with design stuff wherever needed

mlitn[edit]

  • No MM yet
  • LQT conversion work still
  • LQT work continuing on and off for ~2 weeks or so
  • Picking up work from MM Phab board
  • Vacation 25th July