This is one of the first features in the development queue.
User profiles would have several form fields in addition to the MediaWiki stock textarea and User_Talk page. Let's forget about "following" options for now.
Let's agree on the plan:
- Textfields with autocompletion for interests, locations, languages and projects.
- Regular textfields for media handles: Twitter, Facebook, Google+, identi.ca.
- Upload file for avatar. Nice if we can have size limit and license check like with regular image uploads but otherwise we can just pass for the proof of concept.
That's it. How complex is to implement this in a wiki with SMW and SemanticForms already enabled? And just to have an idea, how complex would be to get this functionality without SMW?
There are some benchmarks defined for this feature. Your feedback about these is welcome as well:
- How evident and inviting is this feature for new users?
- How easy to define existing and new interests?
- How easy to modify or remove interests?
- Do the user profiles look good?
- Can other users mess with your profile?
- Are there privacy questions or concerns?