Create generic i18n tools in jQuery
Project Milkshake is a project that aims to make generic jQuery components for commonly needed internationalisation features. The project was conceived by the Wikimedia Localisation team in July 2012.
All initial components are being developed because there is a need for them on Wikimedia Projects through MediaWiki. However, it would be shame to not make it easy for anyone to re-use them in any project.
Because of this, we chose to (re)develop all components as generic jQuery libraries, using well documented APIs, so that it is relatively easy to implement and use them anywhere. To allow easy participation in the features, the source code repositories are hosted on GitHub. MediaWiki specific implementations re-use the code from the libraries.
Licenses and contributing
Components are dual licensed as GPL and MIT as much as possible to allow wide adoption. New contributions can only be accepted under these two licenses.
Front end messaging framework
- Universal Language Selector
- Source code: jquery.uls, MediaWiki extension
- Available in translatewiki.net
- jQuery.IME/Wikimedia input tools Chromium/Chrome extension, (developed on GitHub; also a GSoC 2013 project)
- Wikimedia input tools Firefox extension, (developed on GitHub; also a GSoC 2013 project)