The maps project aims to build cartography technologies for all Wikimedia projects, at a scale sufficient for their widespread usage. Please leave your feedback and ideas to help guide future development. For assistance using the map feature, see the help page on the Kartographer extension.
Cartographical efforts consist of several sub-projects:
- At its core, the maps project uses Kartotherian map tile service. Kartotherian makes OpenStreetMap data available as image tiles, the map on which other tools can draw useful information. See #Production maps cluster.
- Geoshapes service, part of Kartotherian, makes OpenStreetMap shapes data, such as countries, cities outlines, or even building outlines available directly to the clients via Wikidata IDs.
- Kartographer extension allows editors to insert an interactive map and add article specific data into wiki pages. See the section on the Kartographer extension.
- GeoData extension allows articles to specify geographical coordinates, and expose them via search API.
The Kartographer extension allows editors to insert a map and add article specific data into wiki pages, such as shapes and points of interest. Kartographer also has a Visual Editor interface to make it easy to add maps. Kartographer extension have been enabled in Wikivoyage and a few Wikipedia languages.
Other maps users
- The Wikipedia Android app shows all nearby articles on a map using the Maps service.
- The Wikidata query service uses maps to visualize query results.
- Geohack, used by Wikipedia to provide links to various mapping services, uses the map tile service for the Russian and Italian Wikipedias. English, and other wiki's are planned for the future.
Milestones and Updates
Wikimedia projects that have Maps enabled
- Wikivoyage (all languages)
- Wikipedia sites:
The section above is to list those projects and sites that have
maplink is enabled on all wikis and projects.
Production maps cluster
- Kartotherian Github (primary) / Diffusion (mirror) - a server capable of providing map tiles in vector (pbf) or raster (png) formats, as well as static map snapshots of any size for a given location.
- Tilerator Github (primary) / Diffusion (mirror) – a distributed backend tile generation service with a job queue.
- A flexible sources system to set up the needed storage and processing pipeline
A version of the tile server is now in operation at maps.wikimedia.org.
- It serves tiles at URLs such as https://maps.wikimedia.org/osm-intl/11/327/791.png (bitmap) or …/791.json (OSM data – waterways, roads, place labels, etc.).
- It can scale images for the high-DPI devices – e.g. 1.5x, 2x, etc …/firstname.lastname@example.org
- It can provide static maps with a given size and scaling, e.g. https://maps.wikimedia.org/img/osm-intl,6,44.8247,4.9981,1000x600.png
- For now, maps.wikimedia.org only accepts requests from the domains in
- Please adapt your own labs tools to use
maps.wikimedia.org! Set your tool's domain to
- Maps Roadmap for 2016-2017
- Maps Technical Implementation - further technical documentation on the implementation of Maps
- Help:Extension:Kartographer - documentation on using the feature
- Maps/Icons - List of possible icons that can be used for location markers in maps
- Tile server implementation - technical details on how the server presenting and storing the map tiles is implemented
- Maps KPI's
- Conversation about interactive map use
- WMF-related maps guide at Wikitech.
- In Phabricator, see current work and the task list
- OpenStreetMap page in Meta (historical from 2009 to 2011)
- Wikidata page in OSM wiki
- Collaboration with Wikipedia page in OSM wiki
- Collaboration with Wikivoyage page in OSM wiki
- Code statistics on OpenHub
How to guides and more information
- Step-by-step instructions on adding a map link to your page
- Step-by-step instructions on adding embedded maps to your page
- Instructions on adding a map using Visual Editor and the Map template
- How to use objects from OpenStreetMap in your map
- Extension:Kartographer, the MediaWiki extension created to use the tile server
- Kartotherian, the Wikimedia tile server implementation
- How to use dynamic maps on the English Wikivoyage
- Mobile web maps gadget