This page is where developments relating to Wikimedia maps will be announced and discussed after July of 2018. It takes over from the Map improvements 2018 page, which documented a project that added various upgrades in the first half of that year, and from the Wikimedia Maps/2015-2017 page, which preceded that.
Maintain the Wikimedia maps infrastructure including the Kartographer and Kartotherian services.
Bug reports and requests can be made in Phabricator. Please tag tasks with #Maps.
- Grooming existing #maps and #maps-sprint board
- Cataloging critical bugs
- Ensuring reproducibility of deployment processes
- Cataloging repositories location and ownership
- Upgrading OS to Stretch
- Upgrading OS to Stretch (continued)
- Added Stretch testing instance (deployment-maps04) to the Beta Cluster
- Upgrading Mapnik to 3.7.2
- Dealing with vandalism
- Posted the August 14, 2018 update on Status of map styles
- Help:Extension:Kartographer - A Help doc that gives guidance and examples for users who want to create and edit interactive wiki maps.
- Help:VisualEditor/Maps - Help with adding and editing interactive maps using the Visual Editor.
- Extension:Kartographer - Documentation on the MediaWiki extension that enabled the maps service.
- Map improvements 2018 - Documents a 2018 project to shore up maps technology and make maps display in the language of the user instead of the territory mapped.
- Status of map styles - Update on the proposed new map styles