|This page documents a system message, a wiki page that defines part of the MediaWiki interface. See also the default documentation.|
MediaWiki:Sitenotice is displayed above the page title for all users, unless it is superseded by another notice.
The message is displayed if it is defined, that means the sitenotice page is not empty and its contents is different from the single character "
Which notice is displayed for a user is decided in this order:
- If the CentralNotice extension is enabled, it is displayed (even if not defined); see below.
- If the user is anonymous, MediaWiki:Anonnotice is displayed (if defined).
- Otherwise, MediaWiki:Sitenotice is displayed (if defined).
- Otherwise, the global notice in $wgSiteNotice is displayed (if defined).
- Otherwise, no notice is displayed.
If Extension:DismissableSiteNotice is installed, registered users can hide any site notice by clicking
[dismiss] on the notice. For an individual user to recover a previously dismissed site notice, they should delete the cookie
dismissSiteNotice for www.mediawiki.org in their browser.
To show the site notice again, even for those who have dismissed it, sysops should increment the number in MediaWiki:Sitenotice id (this redisplays the notice for everyone regardless of whether the actual notice has been edited or not).
The MinervaNeue skin (used by the MobileFrontend extension) only shows site notices when
$wgMinervaEnableSiteNotice is set to true (which is now the default since MediaWiki 1.36).
Individual notices can be selectively hidden on mobile using the