Alternatives to manual installation
Some users may prefer to skip manual installation by using a pre-integrated MediaWiki software appliance or hosting services with 1-click installation and wiki farms.
- MediaWiki 1.21.1 GPG security signature to verify your download with GNU Privacy Guard
- GPG keys
- MediaWiki 1.21.1 changes not including i18n (unified diff)
Download through Git/command line
For downloading MediaWiki from Git or from the command line, see Download from Git.
- PHP 5 support has been required since MediaWiki 1.7 – if you are using PHP 4, you should upgrade now! PHP 4 is no longer supported by the PHP group and has many bugs and vulnerabilities. Many shared hosting providers offer both PHP 4 and PHP 5, running simultaneously. If you cannot upgrade, you can use MediaWiki 1.6.12 (download). Note that this version is no longer supported.
- MySQL 5 support is required since MediaWiki 1.19 – if you are using an older version of MySQL and cannot upgrade, you can use MediaWiki 1.18.6 (download). Note that this version is no longer supported.
Stay up to date with releases, and keep your server secure!
If your MediaWiki installation is heavily modified, it may be difficult to incorporate the latest official changes/updates to MediaWiki. To support such users, we maintain old branches of our code for up to a year for the legacy release (1.20.6) and up to three years for the legacy long term support release (1.19.7).
From Git you can either download the complete repository (about 375 MB)
git clone https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/p/mediawiki/core.git
or the latest revision from the repository only (this is often called a shallow clone: less time and smaller downloads).
git clone --depth 1 https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/p/mediawiki/core.git
You can also view the latest source code in your browser.
You can find tar balls (*.tar.gz) of all versions of MediaWiki back to February 2007 in the MediaWiki download archives
- FAQ: Installation and configuration
- mediawiki-l (Mailing List) is the high-traffic mailing list to ask for support.
- MediaWiki Users (Forum) is a user-to-user MediaWiki support forum.
- This could cause reference problems when you later use "git pull" to upgrade your shallow clone and the newer revision refers to older revisions which are not yet downloaded to your system. In such a case you can simply download more - increase the depth value - or all revisions later, or make a fresh shallow clone.
|Language:||English • العربية • brezhoneg • català • česky • dansk • Deutsch • Zazaki • español • suomi • français • עברית • Հայերեն • Bahasa Indonesia • italiano • 日本語 • ქართული • 한국어 • മലയാളം • Bahasa Melayu • Nederlands • occitan • polski • português • português do Brasil • русский • svenska • ไทย • українська • Tiếng Việt • 粵語 • 中文 • 中文（简体） • 中文（繁體） • 中文（台灣）|