Weekly to Monthly meetings
The following meetings are specific to the Technology department or especially relevant:
- Scrum of Scrums (weekly cross team tech scrum)
Face to Face (F2F) Technology Management meetings
As the Technology management team is highly remote (only 4 out 13 regular members are local to SF), managers try to get together physically multiple times per year to have high-bandwidth in-person meetings.
- Notes from Past Meetings
- Upcoming in-person meetings (planned)
- FY2017-18 Q1 (Jul-Sep): August 14, 2017: In Montreal in conjunction with Wikimania 2017
- FY2017-18 Q2 (Oct-Dec): None.
- FY2017-18 Q3 (Jan-Mar): TBD.
- FY2017-18 Q4 (Apr-Jun): TBD.
There are no contact lists specifically for the Technology Department. General resources include:
- Office wiki contact list (internal or private and managed by the individual folks)
- Wikimedia Foundation Staff & Contractors page (Public - managed by Talent & Culture)
- Technology uses #wikimedia-tech-mgt
- TBD: norms for the department? Should each team have a channel? What are the expectations for responsiveness, if any? When should you use IRC to ask for attention vs filing a ticket or emailing or other?
There are no video tools or norms specific to the Technology Department. General resources include:
- Google Hangouts are the easiest and can be added to any meeting via the calendar.
- Bluejeans (We use for Tech meetings) can be controlled through OIT or our admins.
Some lists are open to any subscriber or archived publically. Other lists are restricted to WMF staff or subsets of staff. Assume that anything written to any list may ultimately become public.
Key public mailing lists
|wikimedia-l||Active list with passionate community members - let’s chat about this. General hub of information.|
|wikitech-l||Developers of mediawiki|
|engineering||Anyone (fully public now. Was previously private)|
|ops||Operations staff, volunteers and some developers|
|wmfall||All employees and employee-like contractors, some contractors, and the occasional Board member.|
|wmfsf||All people working in and around SF office; some Board members and non-local staff.|
Technology Department lists
|firstname.lastname@example.org||Everybody in the Technology Department|
|email@example.com||Information primarily for managers in the Technology Department. Includes people who do some managerial work but are not formal people managers, such as Product Managers. Open to anyone at WMF.|
|firstname.lastname@example.org||Similar to tech-dept-info, but limited specifically to people managers and used only for information that should remain private. Note that long-term privacy is not guaranteed and should not be assumed.|
|email@example.com||Community Tech team|
|firstname.lastname@example.org||CTO, Program Managers in Technology, eng-admin|
|email@example.com||Project Coordinators and Assistants in Technology|
|firstname.lastname@example.org||MW core team|
|email@example.com||Release Engineering team (internal/coordination only, otherwise all on qa@ and wikitech-l@)|
|firstname.lastname@example.org||“a cross-departmental list for researchers at the WMF”. Also includes research fellows and NDA’ed collaborators|
|email@example.com||WMF Research department (internal discussion)|
|firstname.lastname@example.org||Operations, security experts across the org. Specifically: root, Darian Patrick, Chad Horohoe, Sam Reed, Tim Starling, Roan Kattouw, Andre Klapper, Timo Tijhof, James Forrester, Katie Horn, Greg Grossmeier, Guillaume Paumier.|
|email@example.com||Product managers and others|