This page is obsolete. It is being retained for archival purposes. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on any information on this page.
Superseded by the Core Platform Team.
Services and REST API
Team implementing backend services and a REST-style content API as a step towards a service-oriented architecture.
We, the Wikimedia Services team, are aiming to shape the Wikimedia service infrastructure with platform services, APIs and tools. We develop scalable APIs with clearly defined Swagger / OpenAPI specs and versioning policies. We automate monitoring, metric reporting and logging. We keep the majority of services simple & stateless by offering general multi-datacenter storage (RESTBase) and change propagation solutions.
Overall, our goal is to make our infrastructure more flexible, robust and efficient by gradually migrating from a monolithic architecture to micro-services.
- RESTBase, the storage & API proxy service behind the Wikimedia REST API. Built using Node.js and Cassandra.
- EventBus, a Kafka-based event distribution solution for asynchronous tasks & cross-service communication.
- ChangeProp, a general change propagation service with support for templated HTTP requests and CDN purging.
- HyperSwitch, a Swagger / OpenAPI spec-based service framework used in RESTBase and ChangeProp.
- Service-runner, a node.js cluster based service runner providing standardized facilities for logging, metrics & rate limiting.
- limitation, an efficient node.js rate limiter library with a Kademlia DHT backend.
Services owned by other teams
- Parsoid, providing a bidirectional conversion between wikitext and HTML. This service powers VisualEditor.
- Mobile Content Service, a service extracting content and metadata tailored to the needs of our mobile apps.
- Citoid, a service converting URLs, DOIs and ISBNs to full citation metadata. This powers the citation tool in VisualEditor.
- Mathoid, offering SVG, MathML and PNG renders of mathematical formulae.
- Offline Content Generator, rendering PDFs for collections of pages.
- Content Translation Service, providing semi-automated content translation between projects.
- Analytics Query Service, a HyperSwitch and Cassandra based service powering the pageview API.
- ORES, web service that provides machine learning as a service for Wikimedia Projects.
Documentation & resources
Contact the team
Contact the team:
- firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list
- #wikimedia-services IRC channel
- Wikimedia Services/2015-16 Q4 Goals
- Wikimedia Services/2016-17 Q1 Goals
- Wikimedia Services/2016-17 Q2 Goals
- Wikimedia Services/2016-17 Q3 Goals
- Wikimedia Services/2016-17 Q4 Goals
- Wikimedia Services/2017-18 Q1 Goals
- Wikimedia Services/2017-18 Q2 Goals
- Wikimedia Services/Deployments
- Wikimedia Services/Meetings
- Wikimedia Services/Meetings/2015-02-03-MA
- Wikimedia Services/Meetings/2015-03-19-Ops
- Wikimedia Services/Revision storage for HTML and structured data: Use cases
- Wikimedia Services/Roadmap
- Wikimedia Services/Standards
- Wikimedia Services/status