Core Platform Team
This team has the primary responsibility for the Core Platform that supports the projects of the Wikimedia Movement. The platform is comprised of MediaWiki and the Wikimedia service infrastructure which provides our services, APIs and tools. Additionally, the team supports MediaWiki as a FLOSS product to be used by 3rd parties to host and share knowledge in a variety of contexts. This team was formed in July 2018 by merging the MediaWiki Platform team and the Services team.
- To lead the maintenance and improvement of the MediaWiki platform.
- To assist and encourage feature development on top of MediaWiki by providing developers with a clean and elegant core.
- To provide value for end users by undertaking feature development work which is primarily architectural in nature.
- To create and publish a MediaWiki roadmap to assist planning of internal and external users.
- To establish guidelines and standards for the MediaWiki core code.
- To automate monitoring, metric reporting and logging or Wikimedia services.
- To keep the majority of services simple and stateless by offering general multi-datacenter storage and change propagation solutions.
- To make our infrastructure more flexible, robust and efficient by gradually migrating from a monolithic architecture to micro-services.
The Core Platform Team is currently supporting the following programs:
- TEC1: Reliability, Performance, and Maintenance
- TEC2: Modern Event Platform
- TEC13: Code Health
- CDP2: Platform Evolution
- CDP4: Structured Data Program
Contact the team
Contact the team: