Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20150804
- Wikimania expense reports - due August 12th
- New reporting:
- Measuring "maintenance" vs "new work"
"The team has followed through on the practices outlined in their proposal, and the result has been felt outside the team by teams who rely on Release Engineering for support."
Kristen: RelEng, it would be good to get your POV on how the synergistic work engine is cranking. This is what I am observing from outside the engine.
- doing well, working better as a team
- people can approach the team vs individuals
- difficult to put a number on it
- GREG: ask kristen about other's perception
- GREG: make a matrix of responsibilities, rate their understanding/experience
Pairing (#together) / Weekly Triages
- Discussed #togetherness above
- FYI: moved deployment systems to wednesday morning
- Tyler to drive
Scrum of Scrums
- Blocked on us: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/?statuses=open%28%29&projects=PHID-PROJ-arpazvuktn2l647rb6us#R
- Will bring up the puppet patch with Brandon
- Had some probelms with nutcracker this week, those continue (somewhat https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107538 )
- *sigh* ori ori ori....
- We need to fix varnish
- Chad already working on jessie upgrade \o/
- Working on alternative approaches
- tooling should be aware of configuration/be mindful of configuration/templates
Isolated CI instances
- Quarterly Priority: Disposable VMs - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T47499
- Can/Should Andrew revoke nodepool roots?
- Probably. Yes!
- Dan working on Vagrant environment for building nodepool images
- mediawiki packages defined in ops/puppet being the interesting part; trying to reuse it as much as possible within the context of diskimage builder
Developer Tooling (MW-Vagrant, MW-Selenium, etc.)
- The mwext-mw-selenium job is scheduled for test and gate-and-submit for MobileFrontend now!
- Gather is next up
- Job is reliable but slooooow. Need to investigate parallel execution
- how slow?
- Hella. (7-13 minutes for 16 scenarios, depending on state of mw git clones)
- how slow?
- Ask legoktm Tyler about possibly splitting up job
Please add your time off to your gcal, **Phabricator**, and ADP, as appropriate
- Zeljko: July 27th - Aug 16th (3 weeks!)
- Antoine: Aug 1st - 23rd (3 weeks!)