Topics from the past
- Annual planning is underway (The first draft is due by 22nd February)
- Registering for Hackathon is open
- Assume Thursday arrival at Hackathon hotel (leaving the offsite hotel on Thursday)
- Dan has let the affected people know how to arrange for visas
- Everyone in Discovery is approved to go, so please register
- Developer Wishlist voting now open
- Why did Kevin re-animate the Experimentation Time discussion?
- Unknown. Feel free to disregard.
- Dan will be on vacation quite a bit over the next month
Announcements, Information, Questions
- Do people want to discuss Wes leaving?
- If you have ideas for improving department structure, either pass them along to your manager (or Katie/Erika/Dan), or ask Katie ASAP to get invited to one of the upcoming "conversations"
- It's likely we'll take advantage of this opportunity to make some tweaks; it is unlikely (but not impossible) that we will make radical changes
- Any proposed changes will be shown to staff for review before they are decided; even after deciding, implementation could take months
- FYI: Collab Jam next week
- Engineers: Get feedback to Erika by this Thursday
- Dan will schedule a meeting Friday w/Katie et al
- FYI: CSV open data conference, Portland OR, May 2-3 https://csvconf.com/
- From RelEng: “Expect to hear some noise about production log errors. We're going to start getting...strict...on this”
- Firefox might lose support for hangouts at the end of this month
Scrum of Scrums
Are we blocked?
Are we blocking? (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/blocked-on-search/)
- Kartotherian (maps) and Node6: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T150354
- Progressing well
- Multimedia: Discovery could maybe help with a schema change for img_media_type - adding 3D media type, supporting filetype:3D queries in CirrusSearch.
- Not really anything we can do. It has already been reviewed.
Other dependencies (in either direction) which don’t need to be called out as “blocked” (e.g. are progressing smoothly, have no urgency, etc.)
Quick Quarterly Goals/KPI Update (if needed)
Discovery Roadmap FY2016/17: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ctlqdLA__0OxDuO7mJEIDLP-xt9a7E4jv4INMlZAHdQ
This status was last updated 2016-12-15. Completed/dropped goals are not shown.
FY 2016-17 Q3 (Jan-Mar) Key Results
- upgrading to Elasticsearch 5
- Upgrade search cluster to Elasticsearch 5
- Add real-time index updates to completion suggester
- deploying new language analysers
- Perform research spikes to find new analysers for different languages
- Test new analysers to see if they are improvements
- Deploy new analysers that are found to be an improvement
- cross-wiki searching
- Have a working prototype in Labs
- Run at least 2 A/B tests on Persian, Italian, Catalan and Polish Wikipedias
- Feb 20: Holiday
- Mar 1: CREDIT showcase
- Signup: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/CREDIT
- Mar 13: Next All-Discovery retro
- May 14-18: Discovery offsite in Vienna (right before the hackathon)