Wikimedia Hackathon 2017/Register and Attend
In case you have any questions regarding the registration process, please contact us via email@example.com.
Interested technologists and hackers of all backgrounds are welcome at the hackathon. Some experience with the MediaWiki software is beneficial – newcomers are welcome to join the mentoring program. Registration and participation are free, but places are limited and candidates will be chosen according to their motivation, contribution to free knowledge and Wikimedia projects, as well as relevant experience.
Wikimedia Österreich will hold preparatory meetings for Austrian developers before the hackathon. Those who are not well acquainted with MediaWiki are encouraged to download and read about it here on mediawiki.org or in any other available source.
Please note that all participants of the Hackathon are expected to respect and abide by the Wikimedia Friendly Space Policy and the Code of Conduct for Wikimedia technical spaces. Individuals not cooperating with these policies may be asked to leave the event.
For this year’s Hackathon we will be implementing a mentoring program for newcomers to our movement. The mentoring program is a new approach that we are trying out for the first time, where we were looking for Wikimedians who will be at the hackathon exclusively as mentors. They will come up with newcomer-friendly projects and ideas and, during the whole weekend, work with groups of about two to six newcomers, to help them with the whole onboarding process, and make their way into the great Wikimedia tech community as easy and as much fun as possible. The focus is to welcome more newcomers into the community, by introducing them to the different aspects of working with MediaWiki, and help them achieve their own first steps during the hackathon weekend. Additionally, we want to create a welcoming social atmosphere, so we can further diversity and growth in our community.
By using the registration form above you are asked whether you want to apply for a scholarship for participating in the Wikimedia Hackathon 2017. Our international scholarships are designed to cover your travel expenses and your stay at the hotel.
An international scholarship committee decides about the scholarship requests. These scholarships are funded by the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia Deutschland.
The deadline for applying for a scholarship was February 26, 2017.
Scholarships by local Wikimedia affiliates
- Wikimedia Norge: Apply for scholarship from Wikimedia Norge. Deadline 15. February 2017.
- Wikimedia Nederland. Apply for scholarship by mail to info(at)wikimedia(point)nl. More information on our wiki. Deadline 1 March 2017.
- Wikimedia Deutschland: If you live in Germany, please use the registration form to apply for a scholarship. Your request won't be handled by the international scholarship committee but directly by Wikimedia Deutschland.
- Wikimedia Czech Republic: Apply for a scholarship to become a member of the Wikimedia Commons app team at the Prague Pre-hackathon as well as the main event in Vienna.
- Wikimedia Österreich: If you live in Austria, please use the registration form to apply for a scholarship. Your request won't be handled by the international scholarship committee but directly by Wikimedia Österreich.
- Wikimédia France: Apply for scholarship by mail to hackathon-2017-bourses(at)lists(point)wikimedia(point)fr. More information on Meta. Deadline (likely) April 1.
- Wikimédia Magyarország: 2 partial (travel costs) + 1 full scholarships were offered for participants of the Pre-Hackathon in Budapest. The three scholars were selected by the Board.