Wikimedia Developer Summit 2017 Session Notes Template
Title: First Tech Debt Bash
Day & Time: Tuesday 4pm
Phabricator Task Link: task T153022
Facilitator(s): Greg Grossmeier with support from Kevin Smith
Slides: google docs presentation
Note-Taker(s): Gabriel W and Chad H
Remote Moderator: none?
- Tech Debt should not be called out as a thing we do for one quarter, it needs to be ingrained in our work on a daily/sprintly basis.
- A higher focus on Tech Debt in the short term might actually increase the velocity of feature development because TD itself slows down new feature work.
- Victoria: propose to make an owner of Tech Debt who would prioritize and advocate (celebrate) for it org-wide. Then engineering teams would weight those priorities (from this TD owner) with their own.
- Victoria: ~25% of time should be focused on addressing TD
- Mark B: suggestion of adding a slide to QR slides speaking to Tech Debt (what they worked on TD-wise, or not and why)
Get the community of MediaWiki developers, more aligned with our wishes to address technical debt.
- Everyone: Reach out to Greg and Kevin if you have any further thoughts/concerns/ideas/proposals
- Greg and Kevin will follow up with Victoria post Dev Summit (scheduled for January 27th)
- Purpose of follow-up: to decide on the specific actions and who owns them from the above notes/summary.