With the continuous progress that we have been making during the past couple of years in the apps team, we found that it’s a must to have two-way communication channels with the users; that’s why a community relations specialist dedicated to the team joined us during mid of 2022 and started to represent us in Wikimedia’s events.
We think it’s time now to start organizing and having office hours with users, where we can listen to live comments, suggested features and present our roadmap and upcoming projects.
The next office hour will be on the 27th of October at 5 p.m. UTC (check your zone’s exact time).
Feel free to share your questions and thoughts about Wikipedia’s mobile apps here in this section, we would love to hear from you ;) The last date to add your input will be on the 24th of October at 12:00 UTC.
Also, we can provide Arabic and French interpretations if we get +7 sign-ups for each language here before the 3rd of October.
If you'd like a one-day reminder before the meeting, simply add your username, and we'll ensure you don't miss it.
We will be waiting for you all!
You can add your thoughts, questions and usernames as follows:
- Thank you @Zblace, for sharing this question with us; it's noted and will be presented to our product manager for discussion during the meeting.
- ARamadan-WMF (talk) 14:42, 27 September 2023 (UTC)
2. Not sure if this is the right forum for suggestions ... but I'd like to mention two improvements to the mobile UI. (1) Grouping changes by page in the mobile watchlist. (2) Mobile edit lacks an option to view changes before saving. YBG (talk) 03:39, 27 September 2023 (UTC)
- Thanks for sharing your ideas, @YBG! This is a great place to speak your mind.
- We'll chat about both of these suggestions in our online meeting. We're really glad you're involved, and we're excited to talk about these topics. ARamadan-WMF (talk) 15:07, 27 September 2023 (UTC)
- In the past few weeks, I’ve started using the reply feature on talk pages and am finding it very intuitive and very useful.
- One improvement idea: an edit option, available only on the very latest post and only to that editor, so typos could be fixed without having to edit the whole section. YBG (talk) 05:16, 24 October 2023 (UTC)
- Hello @Anupamdutta73,
- We would love to finally meet you after volunteering in the previous app projects!
- ARamadan-WMF (talk) 09:49, 5 October 2023 (UTC)
4.they Should be an awareness on the app usage, and the app is not really user friendly, the font is not bold enough and more features should be provided, and if it can have a voice reader to listen online User:Obedmakolo (talk) 13:56, 2 October 2023 (UTC)
- Hi @Obedmakolo,
- These points will be included in the presentation, thank you for your participation!
- ARamadan-WMF (talk) 09:48, 5 October 2023 (UTC)
- Hello @حبيشان,
- Great, see you at the meeting! and if we got +7 signups we can prepare the Arabic interpretation for sure.
- ARamadan-WMF (talk) 09:46, 5 October 2023 (UTC)
- Hey @Jarrod Baniqued,
- Thanks for confirming your participation!
- Could you let us know if your suggestions were related to the iOS watchlist or other areas of the app? We want to make sure we cover your feedback during the discussions.
- ARamadan-WMF (talk) 09:45, 5 October 2023 (UTC)
- I don’t think my suggestions were on the watchlist. They were better integration of iOS autocomplete/spell check into the app, better cursor + find and replace integration, and edit buttons for subheadings on the app. Apparently they’re lower priority. Jarrod Baniqued (talk) 12:17, 5 October 2023 (UTC)
8. I'm looking forward to the meeting, no matter the discussion topic. I'm not sure if this is the best place for this sort of inquiry, but I noticed that sometimes pages with a high volume of edits do not show the most recent page version. This is most noticeable on this enwiki page. Clovermoss (talk) 17:18, 20 October 2023 (UTC)
The meeting turned out to be a productive discussion between the apps team and the attending community members and users. You can find details on all the topics covered in this presentation deck.
We started to announce our first office hours during the first week of March 2023 as follows:
I would like to invite you to the first office hour for the mobile apps team in 2023.
It will take place on the 24th of March at 5 pm UTC. You can check your zone’s exact time through this zone stamp.
The host will be Jazmin Tanner, Lead Product Manager of the apps team, with a number of our software engineers.
You can join at the mentioned time through this link: https://meet.google.com/aww-miri-kik.
And the meeting will be recorded.
You can add your questions and thoughts about Wikipedia’s mobile apps here, and the last date to add your input will be on the 20th of March at 12:00 UTC.
We will be waiting for you all!
The office hour started on time with a number of our community users, the following points were discussed:
- History of apps
- App partnerships
- Work Prioritization
- Custom learning and Discovery
- Quick but impactful contributions
- Meaningful connections
- Platform reliability
- FY 23-24
There were also some questions from the attendees about the differentiation between the road map of the Android VS. the iOS one, the nearby feature for the Android and the beta versions too.