一个视觉差异（visual diff）比较和显示渲染（或显示）文档之间的差异，而不是显示用于格式化这些文档的文本（或标记）。 There are several "visual diff" efforts in the MediaWiki world:
- The most visible one is a visual diffs system inside the visual editor, comparing the HTML of two documents (released in March 2017; pictured); eventually, this will be available on MediaWiki history and diff pages too.
- As part of their testing efforts, the Parsing team created the "Visual Diff Testing" tool (released around April 2016), which is a pixel differ of the page rendered as an image, used to identify differences between Parsoid and the legacy parser.
- Extension:On-Article Diff Highlighting (2011)
- As part of Google Summer of Code 2008, guyvdb mentored by Brion created an HTML diffing tool in MediaWiki core, which was later removed in 2009.
- IBM's history flow as an alternative concept
- Wiki Edit History Analyzer (paper What Did They Do? Deriving High-Level Edit Histories in Wikis), "promised" some extension for their visual diff code, still active on it.
- Replay edits tool shows some visual diffs