Визуальный дифф сравнивает предпросматриваемые (или отображаемые) документы и показывает различия между ними, вместо того чтобы показывать текст (или разметку), используемую для форматирования этих документов.
The main approach for visual diffs in MediaWiki is the visual diffs system (pictured) provided by the VisualEditor extension, which compares the HTML of two documents. It provides visual diffs in VisualEditor's editing preview, as well as (still as a beta feature) in MediaWiki's standard diff display.
Another option for visual diffs is the VisualDiff extension, which adds visual diffs directly to the history page.
Previous attempts at visual diffs in MediaWiki include:
- As part of their testing efforts, the Parsing team created the "Visual Diff Testing" tool (released around April 2016), which is a pixel differ of the page rendered as an image, used to identify differences between Parsoid and the legacy parser.
- Wiki Edit History Analyzer was another apparently-abandoned attempt at visual diffs; its development was discussed in the 2010 paper "What Did They Do? Deriving High-Level Edit Histories in Wikis".
- As part of Google Summer of Code 2008, guyvdb (mentored by Brion Vibber) created an HTML diffing tool in MediaWiki core, which was later removed in 2009.
- IBM's history flow as an alternative concept
- Replay edits tool shows some visual diffs