User:Pavithraes/Sandbox/MediaWiki documentation improvements project guidelines
We're working on improving the MediaWiki Action API documentation pages. This guide is to help new contributors get started.
Verify that you have the following set up:
Select an API page
The Phabricator task description contains a list of Action API pages that you can work on. From the list, choose an Action API page and add your name in the 'Work in progress' column.
To do so:
- Make sure that you're logged in to Phabricator.
- 'Subscribe' to the task.
- Click on the 'Edit task' option and add your name next to the selected page.
- The Subscribe and Edit task options are available on the right-side on desktop view and in the hamburger menu on the top-right on mobile/tablet view.
- Select only one page in the beginning. You can work on a different page after your improvements have been reviewed and merged.
Create a sandbox page
Avoid making changes to the API pages directly. Instead, create a page in your Sandbox by replacing username with your MediaWiki username and pagename with the name of the page you want to create in the URL: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:username/Sandbox/pagename
Duplicate template content
To do so:
- Go to: API:Documentation template.
- Click on 'Edit' or 'Edit source' in the top bar.
- Copy the content of the source.
- Go to your Sandbox page and click on 'Create page' or 'Create source'.
- Paste the copied contents in your Sandbox page.
- Scroll down and select 'Show preview' to preview your page before saving.
- Write a 'Summary' and click on 'Publish page' to save the page.
Improve the API page
You can now start improving the API page in your Sandbox. Go through the content on the original page, check the accuracy of the content and add it to the template in your Sandbox.
- Refer to the pages on Help:Editing to learn about editing wiki-pages.
- We encourage you to stick to the template. If you feel the need to add/remove any section from the template or make any other changes, make sure to discuss it with your mentors first.
- To fill the 'Parameter history' section, check the history of the original page. (Click on 'View history' in the top bar and compare different versions.)
For your reference, here are API pages modified using the new template:
Contribute sample code
When you're done
- Reach out to your mentors (@jeropbrenda, @pavithraes) to get feedback on your contributions.
- Try to incorporate the feedback received.
- After getting a green signal, coordinate with your mentors in getting your changes integrated with the actual page on MediaWiki.org.
- Lastly, add your name next to the project in the 'Done' column in the Phabricator task description.
- Use the 'table of contents' to jump to different sections within the same page.
- Use the 'Seach MediaWiki' bar on the top-right for searching MediaWiki pages.
- Subscribe to the task:T237448 to get notified when changes are made to the task.
- Learn about the markup language used on Phabricator: Remarkup Reference.
If you have any questions or need help, you can reach out to the Wikimedia community over:
- Always use respectful, friendly and inclusive language in discussions with the Wikimedia community.
- Try to frame specific and clear questions to ask the community.
- Follow the Code of conduct strictly.
- New developers - Steps and resources for new developers to get started.
- MediaWiki FAQ - Answers to some frequently asked questions about MediaWiki.
- API:FAQ - Answers to some frequently asked questions about the Action API.
- API:Tutorial - Tutorial on using the Action API.
- Help:Editing - Hub for 'Help pages' on editing wiki-pages.
- Github guides - References for using Github.
- API reference - API documention auto-generated from the MediaWiki source code using the Doxygen tool.
- MediaWiki Release notes - Information about each MediaWiki release.
- MediaWiki Api Announce mailing list (archives) - Announcements regarding the Action API.