First off, this tool is a great idea, because it puts the translation area for each paragraph next to the paragraph of the source text and it automatically modifies links to other pages to match the target.
Anyway, there are some issues, which I would like to explain using the page on the hard spheres model that I translated to German:
- You cannot edit the categories to put additional categories in (eg. the category Statistische Physik for the category Statistical Mechanics).
- You cannot edit formulas and after you re-opened the translation editor, the formulas are broken.
- If you have a link to a non-existing page, you can mark that page as missing, but you cannot remove the link without deleting the link text (eg. the link to the Percus-Yevick approximation article, which does not exist in German Wikipedia) .
- You cannot change the target of a link without deleting the link text.
- If you want to place a link with a pluralized text, you can use
[[Packungsdichte]]n, yet the editor has no option to do so and uses
Additionally, you cannot switch off the Visual Editor to manually handle (some of) the aforementioned issues.
Another, already mentioned, issue is the inability to use the automatic machine translation feature for English to German.