The Wikipedia Library
The Wikipedia Library is a team in the Product department at the Wikimedia Foundation which focuses on supporting the Wikimedia community in doing research, adding verifiable information to Wikimedia projects, and citing that content to reliable sources.
Our primary project is the Library Card platform, through which we provide the Wikimedia community with free access to otherwise paywalled sources of information. We also work on improvements to Wikimedia's citations, assist campaigns like 1Lib1Ref, and support community tools that help keep our projects reliable. You can follow our progress in obtaining new partnerships, and make requests, on Phabricator.
In the Financial Year 2020/21 (July-June) year we expect to work on the following projects:
- Design - We will review and improve the Library Card platform’s user interface and workflows.
- Search - We are integrating a library discovery tool to enable users to search content from across the library’s available collections.
- Wikilink - The Wikilink tool provides analytics on how users are making use of Wikipedia Library content. We will spend some time making stability and performance improvements to the tool to ensure we’re collecting reliable and accessible data about the project that we can share with partners.
Objective: The Wikipedia Library team is well-positioned for future development and can track high priority metrics
- Wikilink stability
- Address Library Card technical debt and write documentation
- T240153 and highest priority subtasks
Objective: Users are able to access content through the Library Card platform easier and more intuitively
- Finish rolled over page load work as part of Wikilink stability project
- Implement Library Card design improvements to improve user experience
You can contact the team at wikipedialibrarywikimedia.org.