Reading/Web/Advanced mobile contributions/Technical research
In order to better understand the feasibility of making special pages more mobile friendly, the Readers Web team have agreed that each page should be scrutinized individually and a report should be generated to help determine which pages are the easiest and most difficult to port.
Below is a suggested framework for analyzing each page. Not all questions need to be answered specifically, a general overview should suffice.
- Are there tests?
- Are there any code-smells? including but not limited to:
- FIXME's in the code
- very long functions
- highly nested conditionals
- anything else that at first glance, needs fixing
- Are the functions documented? is it JSDoc?
- Which files produce this page?
- What large pieces of functionality are there?
- How much functionality is client-side vs server-side?
- Does it use OOJS UI?
- Does it use any outdated frameworks like jQuery UI?
- Does it have page-specific CSS?
- What kind of inheritance chains are in place?
- Has it been worked on recently?
- Who touched it last?
- Does it have a assigned or de-facto maintainer? team?
- How does it currently look like on mobile? (take a screenshot)
- Does it work at all? What functionality works? what doesn't?