Reading/Multimedia/Retrospectives/2019-10-10

From mediawiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


2019-10-10

Previous Action Items

  • Ramsey: Adopt a feature-specific meeting for the next major milestone [carried forward]
  • Re-factor front-end stuff after CAT is done and released (probably November)
  • Matthias to go through the buffet of To-Do tickets and find interesting things to work on DONE

Possible future special retros

  • Work on "solutioning backlog" from offsite
    • Look at "not in our control" for opportunities: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W7hmKSl22X6ljR7cCYC8mKnIor7KWIEDVgCIBciWcGQ/edit#heading=h.evjwfmuf3k1s
    • Review action items progress
    • Eric:
      • Onboarding docs for our extensions
        • Where should it live?  On wiki?  In code repo(s)?
    • Big onboarding page
    • Eric and Anne w/Mark on onboarding:
      • Q: Who owns the docs?
        • Onboaring buddy and new person should update the docs
          • 3 month assignment
        • Max B to annoy people
    • Set a realistic target for test coverage (80%?) and enforce it
    • Add tests with new features
    • Work with Kosta about new tool
    • Leverage library that RW team is doing
    • Replace unit tests with integration tests to make better use of our remaining 2 months
    • Discuss testing strategy at next offsite (e.g. is this the foundation of something future people with use?)
    • Possibly set different test coverage target
    • MM: IMO, we're good, no more testing coverage needed
    • move testing discussion to #sd-eng slack
    • Create/update this page to facilitate regular contribution to it and start a tutorial for getting involved with Wikibase
      • Monte to guinea pig
      • We need to share our knowledge for future folks
        • Month or two at the end of the year when development has slowed
    • Get better alignment with the Technology department by...
      • Occasionally attending Docker SIG
      • Regularly attending to Front-end Standards SIG
    • Iteratively improve QA challenges by...
      • Chatting with Edward about low hanging fruit for testing
      • Chatting with Monte about how  iOS uses some automation that makes visual regressions easier to catch
        • Exploring Storybook
        • Another thing to do in last month
  • Pam:
    • Design documentation
      • First step: research how other teams do this
      • Include designs and user testing steps in tickets [Pam]
      • Design masters rather than separate pieces here and there
    • Add Laszlo’s relationship to/experience with Wikidata to deck (there is a placeholder for this in the slides already)
    • Talk to a few Laszlos
    • Steward conversation with Keegan:
      • I’d like to have more of a focus on demonstrating to Commonists that 1) this is what we heard, 2) this is what we’re changing and 3) this is what we’re not changing. I think it gets lost in convo threads when it could be a separate page on the Structured Data on Commons area. Design docs can live there too as a part of this and I can update there (or on Mediawiki when more final?... still figuring that out: what should live on which wiki).
  • Ramsey:
    • Post-launch doc-a-thon
    • Ramsey w/Max: Include testing in acceptance criteria
  • Matthias:
    • Chat more in (team) public
      • dev specific slack! #sd-eng
    • Cormac w/Matthias (Los Euros Devs)
    • Become The Wikibase Experts
      • Monitor mailing list, explore chore option if we go that route
      • Knowledge share: attend WMDE office hours and report back to team
      • Attend technical advice IRC and hangout and ask questions
  • Max:
    • “Needs discussion”/”WTF” Phabricator column/tag
      • Nothing came of thread
    • Chore list?
      • Experimented with Cormac
        • Max B to expand chore wheel to all devs incl mark
    • Check if ticket templates have acceptance criteria and add if not
    • Schedule post-feature-launch doc-a-thon for Other Statements, use Thursday, August 1 Standup/Retro slot plus the hour prior
      • Move this back, as needed by the launch
  • Amanda:
    • (stop cancelling the) Story meeting
    • w/Ramsey and Pam: Some kind of not huge thing but followup survey to targeted users (Laszlo) about their relationship to wikidata, expectations therein, etc
      • Did not do this, but got some crude numbers instead from commonists, and made this irrelevant
    • Fly some WMDE folks to SF adjacent to All Hands or to the Nov offsite to do some hacking
      • Start looking into who, what specific work/why, logistics with budget holders and travel (3 months in advance is the deadline for planning)\
      • Ask WMDE about All Hands for meeting 2.0
    • Try to make sure stub tickets get fleshed out (possibly brought to story meeting), tickets that are in a state of “chewing on ideas” called out explicitly on the ticket, and any conversations or decisions made around shift in direction also get documented on tickets.
      • Amanda tried but other things took over her life.
      • Hiring someone going forward
      • Tix have also just generally been decent since this action item
  • Mark:
    • (got lost somehow) “office hours” chat period
    • Onboarding is confusing
    • Slack
    • Explore using non-OOUI stuff in experimental/prototype situation
    • Testing: Formal test rotation
    • Iteratively improve QA challenges by...  
      • Talking with Edward about if/when (major) releases are less frequent, QA resources would be freed up to automate currently manual QA and that would give us more coverage
  • DEVS:
    • Code health is poor
    • I wonder if we should make Cormac steward this one since he managed to avoid all action item assignments!
  • MICHAEL
    • Get better alignment with the Technology department by...
      • Asking Corey about what happened to the prod-tech working group

Action Items

  • Ramsey: Adopt a feature-specific meeting for the next major milestone [carried forward]
  • Re-factor front-end stuff after CAT is done and released (probably November)