Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is the monthly update for 2017-08
- Discussion around the mobile app Reading List feature will be starting soon (Draft).
- The Android app rolled out an update with improvements to the Reading Lists and offline capabilities of the app.
- Android continues work on supporting the ZIM file format to make offline libraries a built-in part of the app experience.This week we began user testing with users in India.
- iOS released version 5.6, which included Reading Themes, such as dark and sepia modes, to make it more personal and comfortable to read wikipedia, especially at night. The release has been well received, resulting in our best ever user reviews and prominent featuring by Apple in the Store, resulting in a 200% increase in downloads.
- iOS also included a pack of Wikipedia themed iMessage stickers. The stickers themselves are PD and available on Commons, and hopefully will be popping up on all Wikimedian's social channels soon.
- Both apps teams are excited by the progress of the ReadingLists extension, and will be implementing syncing of reading lists for logged in users as soon as the Extension is fully released!
- Page previews are now live on all Wikipedias except German and English
- An A/B test for page previews has begun on German and English Wikipedias as a final feature evaluation prior to release on these wikis
- A perplexing bug in Firefox caused issues with EventLogging. Wanting to make sure our logging worked, the deployment of Page Previews was delayed (but is now back on schedule!)
- We've been continuing work on desktop and mobile PDFs
- Wrote Extension:ReadingLists (currently undergoing review) for the Reading Lists project
- Helped evaluating options for replacing OCG with a more maintainable system
- New Reader updates can be found at Meta.
- There was a Structured Data on Commons program offsite following Wikimania. All of Multimedia was present, along with one or more members from just about every team involved in the program.
- Consultation around 3D licensing and weaponry model risks continues. The Multimedia team will be preparing a suggested implementation that streamlines user prompting, pending design mocks.
- The consultation around enabling the upload of MP3 files to Commons continues. Commons contributors are encouraged to participate.
The Discovery team provides weekly updates. Here are their updates for the month.