Outreach programs/Recommended steps for participants
Application process steps
If you are considering to apply, follow the steps in the order in which they are listed:
- Understand Wikimedia's technical areas There are a lot of technical areas in which you can contribute (e.g. Gadgets, Extensions, Skins, Bots, etc). Knowledge of these areas will help you a lot in choosing a project.
- Express your interest in working on a project by commenting on the corresponding task on Phabricator. Ask intelligent and explicit questions ("Could you tell me more about this?" is a bad example), do your research thoroughly, don't expect spoon-feeding.
- Communicate with project mentors Discuss with them your ideas for implementation and learn about their availability and willingness to mentor.
- Learn basic skills required for development If you are planning on contributing to a project that involves MediaWiki codebase, learn how to start hacking here. The Hands-on suggestions section on the same page includes information about how to get involved in other projects.
- Fix small bugs Ask mentors to point you to some bugs. You could also fix bugs for projects listed here. This help candidates understand the skills required for a project and mentors whether the candidate has these skills.
- Read a few good proposals that were accepted for the previous round. Here they are: example 1, example 2, example 3.
- Submit your proposal on Wikimedia's Phabricator using the pre-populated application template here.
- Discuss your own project idea with a possible mentor If you couldn't find anything interesting in our project ideas, you could reach out to a possible mentor here.
If you get accepted, here is what we will encourage you to do to have a successful project:
- Write weekly reports
- Stay up-to-date with your goals as outlined in the timeline
- Communicate regularly with mentors and keep them updated about your progress and challenges
- Submit evaluations on time
- Attend any program-related meetings we host
- Follow any guidelines we share to involve you in our community and process.
- Join the wikitech-l mailing list to receive Wikimedia technical news, including program updates. You can select the digest mode and read just the summary, or take part in discussions already.
- Some MediaWiki updates are also on the Wikimedia Foundation technology blog, Twitter and Facebook.
- Ask us almost anything on the Freenode IRC channel .