Jump to navigation Jump to search
Naming things is hard.
"There are two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." - Martin Fowler
- Avoid ambiguity
- Search for similar keywords in existing features, extensions, products, and projects, to avoid confusion and a profusion of hatnotes/seealsos. (e.g. Collection vs Collections, Labs vs labs vs labs)
- Make it easy to pronounce, to type, and to remember
- Avoid l33t5p34k, avoid difficult capitalizations (e.g. SyntaxHighlight GeSHi), and don't use dashes if CamelCase is the local convention.
- Consider the translations
- If it is a user-facing feature, this is extra important. Is the word almost-untranslatable or extra-long, in any discoverable language? (e.g. help, randompage, [better examples needed...] )
- Check it isn't a reserved keyword in the usual programming languages
- This can lead to additional complexity in the code (e.g. Echo). For example: Puppet reserved words.
- For long names, specify the short form. People tend to shorten anything they can, especially if they write it regularly, as help-desk people and developers tend to do. Contractions/Initialisms/Acronyms will be invented, if you don't plan for it. (e.g. visual editor is "VE" to many people, see also m:Glossary and Manual:Glossary)
- Stick with a single name
- Try to pick just one name, for both the code & the user-facing product name. Otherwise you'll have to regularly explain the past/alternative names. (e.g. Page-triage/Page-curation/Newpagepatrol/Newpagesfeed, or Echo/Notifications, or Popups/Hovercards/PagePreviews)
- wikitech:Labs labs labs
- Beta beta beta
- Differences between Wikipedia, Wikimedia, MediaWiki, and wiki (aka. "wikimpedia", etc)
- Wikipedia articles
- xkcd.com/910 - Permanence
- Domain Name Humor
- "Even Naming This Talk Is Hard" by Ruthie BenDor, at Write the Docs Portland 2017
- RFC 1178
- "A Guide to Naming Variables"
- Code Complete 2nd Edition Chapter 11: Power of Variables Names - checklist
- Even Naming This Talk Was Hard slides (video 25min)
- Falsehoods Programmers Believe About [human] Names