MediaWiki Stakeholders' Group/Annual Report 2020
In 2020, we focused mainly on these areas:
- Continuation and improvement of MediaWiki user experience. We are striving to keep user experience of MediaWiki as consistent and integrated as possible for self-installed MediaWiki instances (see output).
- Outreach to relevant stakeholders. We have increased our efforts to reach out to MediaWiki maintainers by co-organizing conferences.
- Exchange of experience among stakeholders, i.e. primarily people running MediaWiki as their platform. This was done in regular online meetings and through our discussion platform on Element.
- Professionalisation. We completed incorporation and are recognized as a 501(c)(6) organisation.
- We co-organized EMWCon 2020 and SMWCon 2020.
- We created a blog for MediaWiki maintainers and experts: https://mediawikiexperts.blog
Exchange of Experience
Real Life Meetings
Due to the travel restrictions imposed by the COIVD-19 pandemic, we did not conduct any real life meetings in 2020.
- 12 regular telcos (video calls), all documented. Average attendance: 15 participants, with a range of 10-25 participants. We introduced an informational section called "Mediawiki News" to point out interesting topics in MediaWiki development.
- Ongoing chat discussions on Element - Several rooms for different topics. Activity in these rooms has again considerably increased compared to last year. This is now a well frequented medium for exchange and requests for help.
In 2020, we actively participated in various MediaWiki and Open Source conferences, among others with these topics:
- EMWCon Spring 2020: Maintaining your wiki: You know you have to, A method for automating MediaWiki deploys using only tools you already use, Site Reliability: monitoring and alerting in 3 easy steps, Push your wikifarm pages with encrypted credential handling, E/SMW to tackle the Corona crisis, and more.
- SMWCon Fall 2020: Privacy considerations, Export semantic data via API, Mediawiki 1.35 Migration, and more.
Participation in discussions on 3rd party relevant topics
- Discussions in Phabricator
- RfC on Hybrid extension management
- Participation in the Gitlab consultation
Financials and internals
- In the reporting period, the organisation did not collect or spend money. All necessary transactions were done by individuals.
- We are incorporated and registered in the US as a 501(c)(6) organization.
- We agreed on bylaws for the organisation.
- We have a functional board with monthly meetings. One person left the board in 2020 and was replaced.
- We agreed on a membership model. You can now officially become a member of the organisation at mwstake.org .