Help talk:Extension:Translate/Translation best practices
Things to cover
- usual stuff about variables, links, what to translate
- links that explain these in more detail
encourage message documentation and explain how it works in Translate
- less important: encourage terminology (and promise we'll have awesome feature to handle it in the future, perhaps even explaining why OmegaWiki is not the way)
- how to handle transclusion
Not decided whether this page should be translated or not. probably some language-specific practices (links) will be needed.
Maybe the page is badly named, since this is more like a introduction for translators. Should give more tips.
So we're not putting references to the manual? Or could we if I put it in web version on Wikibooks? --Nemo 16:32, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
- Siebrand once shared this link, should it be placed somewhere? http://www.globalvis.com/internationalization-i18n/ --Nemo 23:50, 13 July 2012 (UTC)
Is this only for translators or also for developers? The "Message documentation" is mostly for developers. Compare translatewiki:Translating:Localisation for developers. --Nemo 14:11, 22 July 2012 (UTC)
If I have one repetitive word in a translation, then how could I make it translatable only once, instead of 100x? 126.96.36.199 04:29, 22 April 2014 (UTC)
- You can't. If something is truly constant irrespective of context, you can use a template. --Nemo 08:09, 22 April 2014 (UTC)
Maybe this collection of links contains something useful (their website with the complete version is down). Or the Catalogue of Free/Open-Source Software for Translators. --Nemo 12:01, 27 January 2015 (UTC)