Help talk:Extension:Media Viewer
Suddenly visible, and unwanted
Although I look at Wikipedia every day, and I update my browser, OS etc regularly, this Media Viewer has only appeared on my screen for the first time today. Yet I see discussion about it going back for years. I do not understand why this has suddenly happened. Perhaps because I re-enabled IPv6 recently? I wish you would get rid of it. Continually adding more apps and features bring down the whole system in the end. It is more convenient to go straight to a page showing both the image and the metadata, and full-screen and downloading are still very easily accessible. Apart from the serious problems that are inevitable as every team adds yet another bit and complexity constantly increases, there is an intangible problem of over-abstraction which divorces users from having a concrete grasp on where they are within the software layers. I get a distinct flavor of that here. And no, I do not agree that having to create a personal account and turn it off in the account preferences is acceptable. Haven't we learnt anything from the unscrupulous mining of personal info by every company from Facebook onwards? And not surprisingly: the cog icon to Disable does not work (I'm using the latest Firefox).
User:Fabrice Florin, here are the audio formats I hope you support: Speex, Opus, FLAC, PCM. Where can I ask that those also be supported for uploads, including from microphone audio for GetUserMedia-capable browsers? James Salsman (talk) 03:05, 7 July 2014 (UTC)
'How can I bypass Media Viewer' section
- Thanks for this good catch, Aquatech!
- I just updated the Bypass FAQ to only include mouse and keyboard shortcuts that work in all popular web browsers:
- Shift+Click – Open the file page in a new browser window.
- Ctrl+Click – Open the file page in a new background tab.
- Ctrl+Shift+Click – Open the file page in a new foreground tab.
- I also included links to the top browser support pages, which suggest that these shortcuts are safe to use across all platforms. And I removed the 'control-click' option, since it varies across different platforms.
- Thanks again for this helpful suggestion, which is much appreciated :) Fabrice Florin (WMF) (talk) 19:54, 2 December 2014 (UTC)
Link parameter disables Media Viewer
An issue came up at en:Wikipedia:Village pump (technical)#MediaViewer "broken"? I think the help page should say that if the
link parameter is used then Media Viewer is disabled. PrimeHunter (talk) 15:00, 17 February 2015 (UTC)
Why such a large font is used in Media Viewer? It is very inconvenient to read letters, that are 7 mm high on screen! Please, dont force large fonts! Let people use their own general OS settings for larger font size, if their vision is not perfect! --188.8.131.52 13:48, 23 January 2017 (UTC)
Make headers more simple
Hello, I think there is a little issue when displaying some license tags, specially when they are placed in the "Permission" field of the c:Template:Information. Example with File:Roquessels, Hérault.jpg, when the image is open in the Media Viewer and if you click on "view terms", then only the text of c:Template:Self is displayed. --Christian Ferrer (talk) 10:31, 1 July 2018 (UTC)
I hate it
- You can disable it in your preferences. If you want to get rid of it on all Wikimedia wikis, turn it off in your global preferences by unchecking Enable (check the first checkbox to make this preference global and uncheck the second to actually disable MMV). This setting is effective, of course, only if you’re logged in. —Tacsipacsi (talk) 19:30, 13 January 2019 (UTC)