You wish to have the features deployed on your wiki?
If your wiki is a version of Wikipedia, you don't need to do anything. The features are already available at your wiki, and you can configure them locally.
If your wiki is not a Wikipedia, please:
- check the conditions
- contact us to inform the Growth team
- fill a Phabricator task.
The deployment of the Growth team features will happen soon on your wiki? Or your wiki agreed on getting the tools?
Here are some resources to help you with this deployment.
You can ask for help on the talk page.
You can also try the tools.
- The Growth team deploys the features in "dark mode". The features are available to anyone who enables the features in their preferences.
- The Growth contacts the wiki, because this wikis is eligible for the deployment.
- The community is in charge of testing the features and improving the default settings provided:
- The interface needs to be translated, or the translations have to be checked. This is done both on translatewiki and at the local configuration page (
Special:EditGrowthConfig). This guidance page can help you understanding this translation work.
- Help links are checked on the local configuration page
- Maintenance templates are checked on the local configuration page
- The test period runs on two weeks.
- If no major blocker is identified by the Growth team, then the features are deployed to all new accounts.
If the wiki contacts the Growth team, then the Growth team checks of the deployment is possible following the defined conditions. If so, the Growth team processes the same way for the deployment.
We also provide some useful information both for mentors and newcomers, and these pages have to be translated as well.
- Translate the documentation
The configuration for the Growth features will be available at
Special:EditGrowthConfig on your wiki.
Here are the Wikidata pages where we find the templates and help pages to fill
Special:EditGrowthConfig on your wiki.
You can edit this special page locally and change the links and templates, as far as they fit the description of each task.
Mentorship module (optional)
- Signature list: Q14339834
- Manual list of mentors (rarely used for new communities, but worth having it in the script anyway): Q100973200
||Level of difficulty
||Learn more link
||Fix spelling, grammar and tone
||Q6292692, Q6706206, Q6931087, Q7656698, Q6931386
||Add links between articles
||Q13107723, Q5849007, Q5621858
||Q27919580 or Q75275496, or https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Help:VisualEditor/User_guide#Editing_links
||Bring existing articles up-to-date
||Find sources for existing articles
||Q79951 or Q642335
||Expand stubs to become sourced articles
||Q5529697, Q5623589, Q5866533
||Q10973854 or Q4663261
|Create an article
||Add a new page to Wikipedia
How this works
Mentors are important: they help newcomers to make safe first steps on the wiki.
Each newcomer has a random mentor assigned to them automatically.
There is no obligation for the newcomer to contact their mentor.
We recommend having one mentor for every 500 new accounts per month, i.e. if your wiki has 5,000 new accounts per month, you should have 10 mentors signed up in order to handle the volume of incoming questions.
We advise to have a minimum of 3 mentors.
Have more mentors than needed will decrease the effort.
Mentors can join using special page,
Management of the whole list is possible at
Special:ManageMentors. See details on creating mentors list.
The Growth team has deployed the features to all Wikipedias. But any wiki can request to have these features, with the following conditions.
As detailed on our focus, we will work with the following wikis by order of priority:
- Our pilot Wikipedias – we address all the feedback they give us.
- Wikipedias – they get the features as they are, but we may consider suggestions of improvements from those wikis.
- All other Wikimedia projects – they get the features as they are, and the team will not have time to prioritize improvements specific to those wikis.
Bug reports will be prioritized by the Growth team.
The prerequisites to get the features are listed above.
Other MediaWiki wikis, not hosted by Wikimedia, can check on Extension:GrowthExperiments to get the features.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Create an article" is not a task. In Suggested edits, there is a placeholder for this task, but the button is grey, inactive. Create an article is a very complicated task. It is actually the sum of all other maintenance tasks suggested. So encourage people to work on other tasks, before trying to create an article. However, we don't want to block newcomers from creating an article. This is why we provide a link to an help page to create a new article.
Before June 2021, this process was different. Please see the archived version for comparison. The creation of the new process is documented on Phabricator.