Frontend standards group/2014-10-31-Weekly
- Jons patch has been merged (now possible to ship `templates` from backend to frontend as raw html)
- Next step - vanilla mustache patch
- OOUI - mostly writting tests
- Easier to move libraries in and out of core.
- Helps chisel away at complexity and distill MediaWiki to essentials.
- Allow for greater local autonomy.
- Auto-upgrade minor versions (if we want to).
- Makes the correct way to contribute to external libraries more discoverable.
- Upstream packages have no clear agreement on which package manager to use (we'd have to maintain a far number of ports no matter which we use).
- Contrary to PHP land, there is no autoloader. We have to register them manually into ResourceLoader file-by-file and be very careful to detect changes in versions and update our module declaration (can't be automated since bower has no concept of separate modules, languageScripts, css files etc.)
- Except for very few, our kind of modules tend to not be exported but use global scope. That's how the web is at the moment. No amd/require/CommonJS. Using a package manager doesn't change that.
- Librarify our front-end modules.
- JS community settled on bower vs. npm.
- Our modules embracing amd/CommonJS exports (as opposed to global scope).
Next steps: Bd808 will involve the front end standards group in review of the PHP library extraction and re-introduction processes with a goal of developing a unified standard that is agreeable for both lanaguages.
What's the status of the icon library / icon work?
- RL module hasn't changed much since the last meeting
- Clear idea of where its going
- Implemenation will take a week
- Either Trevor or Bartosz (likley both)
- Trevor has been working with May and Monte to get the font export into SVG files
- Made sure they were sane, organized, etc
- Now passed off to May
[jquery-devs-team] bower / npm (Future of Plugins Site) http://plugins.jquery.com/ https://www.npmjs.org/browse/keyword/jquery-plugin https://github.com/npm/npm/issues/5239 https://github.com/jquery/plugins.jquery.com/issues/161 https://github.com/jrburke/notobo/blob/master/README.md https://twitter.com/wycats/status/491052088265539585 https://twitter.com/seldo/status/490265637495656448 http://xkcd.com/927/ http://blog.jquery.com/2013/01/16/announcing-the-jquery-plugin-registry/